Author Topic: Visceral musical experiences  (Read 421 times)

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Visceral musical experiences
« on: February 13, 2020, 12:55:36 AM »
What memorable experiences have you had with music? What musical occasion left you with an indelible impression that followed you for the rest of your life?

One such occasion was when I was probably around 19 years old (ca. 1985) at the Space Odyssey Discotheque, a night club out in Salt River. This club had Bose 901-style speakers suspended overhead, around the periphery of the dance floor and a "rain curtain" array of spot lights delineating the boundary of the dance floor. It was layed out like a restaurant, though very little eating of food happened there. The seating area was in one section and the dance area was in another. Most other clubs I knew had seating around the dance area. This was not my favourite club; its image was somewhat upmarket from the other clubs. This in itself was not a problem for me, but rather the fact that it was just a bit too pretentious - or, rather, the patrons seemed a bit pretentious. Anyway, this just sets the scene...

The subwoofers (we just called them woofers back then) were housed in concrete enclosures and for some reason were positioned away from the dance floor (not very far away, but definitely not close to the "tops"). One of the hottest songs - and still a favourite of mine - came on: West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys. The bass was so powerful that you could feel the bass line playing inside your body. Somehow, the bass level was boosted higher than the original recording, yet remained tight and musical. I was never able to reproduce the performance with my own home equipment and concluded that the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIQCI1reA08

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Michon

Re: Visceral musical experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 02:16:39 AM »
One of my favourite experiences was:

- Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1–7) [From a CD copy of Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd].
- Apogee converters.
- FM Acoustics amplifier.
- Soffit mounted Rey Audio (by Shozo Kinoshita) RM-7V loudspeakers.
- Tom Hidley designed room - Studio One at Bop Studios.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 02:27:22 AM by Michon »

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 05:53:50 PM »
Quite a few really, many on first listen so I’m going for live music

In no particular order:

House of Love - Christine live at Reading 1989.  My first experience of the surge power of a crowd.  They started with a slow number so I got about 5m from the front.  When they launched into Christine the crowd surged forwards and upwards, I was suspended halfway in the air for about half the song moving up and down with it like rolling waves.

Wedding Present - Birmingham about 1990.  Got the wrong way around by a stack of speakers as the crowd surged.  Lost balance, next thing I knew was being dragged over the barrier by security.  Went back for more a bit more carefully.

Tindersticks - Birmingham 1993? Halfway through the epic ‘My Sister’ I just had tears flooding down my cheeks from sadness at the lyrics and joy at the amazing delivery.  Looked at my mate and so did he.  Half the crowd too.

American Music Club - around the same time.  Probably the most emotionally charged gig I’ve ever been too.  Their music never fails to give me goosebumps but the combination of ‘Blue and Gray Shirt’ and ‘Fireflies’ once again had me in tears.

Lush - Berlin 2016 (supporting Pixies).  Just took my breath away and during ‘De-Luxe’ transported me back to Burberry’s in Brum in 1989 when they only had 6 songs so played 3 of them again as an encore.  Maybe not so visceral but more like a Proustian moment.

Still a few more but going on a bit

When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....

Online Katji

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 06:15:28 PM »
Visceral wrt bass, and good sound - Black Uhuru, somewhere in Camden, London, 1980-81.  Sly Dunbar & Robbie Shakespeare.  Probably the first time I felt the bass like that.
Some others were visceral, and good sound, but I can't separate the sound from the performance.

Offline Bernard

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Stereo .... what stereo ?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 01:11:17 PM »
Not quite music ... but rather a sound.
Used to do target shooting at an indoor, underground shooting range in Loop Street CT (Or Long St. ??)
Had my hands full of kit and target and used my backside to push open the sound proof door to the cubicles.
Forgot to put my ear muffs on.
A guy let rip as I was right behind him.
Whenever there are loud noises around me now then my left ear sort of "rattles" Badly. Also gets a bit sore if the noise persists.
Yet, the hearing in that ear is still pretty good.

Offline legro

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 08:15:09 PM »
Not really one for live music but,......

Rammstein, The Dome. :faint:

Acoustics ( or rather lack thereof ) of the place finally overwhelmed by the pure, ahem, visceral power of the music.

Was right at the back and could even feel the heat of the - gasp - flamethrower.

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 09:43:17 PM »
What memorable experiences have you had with music? What musical occasion left you with an indelible impression that followed you for the rest of your life?

One such occasion was when I was probably around 19 years old (ca. 1985) at the Space Odyssey Discotheque, a night club out in Salt River. This club had Bose 901-style speakers suspended overhead, around the periphery of the dance floor and a "rain curtain" array of spot lights delineating the boundary of the dance floor. It was layed out like a restaurant, though very little eating of food happened there. The seating area was in one section and the dance area was in another. Most other clubs I knew had seating around the dance area. This was not my favourite club; its image was somewhat upmarket from the other clubs. This in itself was not a problem for me, but rather the fact that it was just a bit too pretentious - or, rather, the patrons seemed a bit pretentious. Anyway, this just sets the scene...

The subwoofers (we just called them woofers back then) were housed in concrete enclosures and for some reason were positioned away from the dance floor (not very far away, but definitely not close to the "tops"). One of the hottest songs - and still a favourite of mine - came on: West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys. The bass was so powerful that you could feel the bass line playing inside your body. Somehow, the bass level was boosted higher than the original recording, yet remained tight and musical. I was never able to reproduce the performance with my own home equipment and concluded that the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIQCI1reA08

Most clubs have pathetic sound but I remember going into Taboo in Sandton when they opened after the renovations for the 2010 World Cup. As I walked in they played Sky is the limit by Notorious BIG.  The sound was amazing. It was pushing very high SPLs but with very clear detail.

Marantz AV7705|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, B&W ASW850 and Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers, 685 and 686 Surrounds, CCM In ceilings| Optoma UHD40|Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver| Nvidia Shield

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 07:31:13 PM »
A few more visceral live moments:

Swans - Reading Fest 1989? Even though this was outdoor, the bass, and sheer volume level was higher than most of the bands.  Gira going for the disorienting mantra like pulsing of the music (even the relatively on record poor ‘Burning World’ stuff hit your gut and took you into a trance as long as you were up the front)

Boogie Down Productions - Kentish T and CC London around 1988, hip-hop gig with multiple support acts (funniest were DJ Sun and MC Blest who through Sunblest bread slices into the crowd).  With each act the bass went up in the mix, as did the volume.  London hip-hop crews in their finest.  When KRS-1 took the stage and hit us with ‘Criminal Minded’ and ‘My Philosophy’ all you could do was dance (in my case badly)

Primal Scream - Hummingbird, Birmingham 1991? The Screamadelica tour.  First was a bass heavy DJ set or two (May have been Weatherall or Oakenfold, can’t say I’d notice), then around midnight the band finally came on stage.  Bobby was loaded, the rest suitably chilled (my mate was backstage runner and confirmed that he’d never seen so much E, resin and LSD).  They were immensely good and the bass, oh the bass.  You could dissolve in it.

And last, but not least

Napalm Death - SO36, Berlin 2016.  I’d been to metal gigs in my student days, but the chance to see Meriden’s (well, no longer but still Brum’s) finest at a famous venue was too much to pass up in my mid-40s.  Stayed clear of the mosh pit but ended up bruised and battered anyway on the edges.  That was mainly due to the pummeling everyone took from the blast beats and bass.  Great night and went backstage after to get a poster signed for a friend, had a chat with the band (I just asked the roadie if it was OK and went-no prima Donna crap).  Special mention, Cannibal Corpse two years later, didn’t go backstage etc, but got sucked into the pit and felt every one of my 48 years!
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 08:35:30 PM »
Luckily many really visceral memories:

Metallica at Wembley Arena, London, May 1996 - the Justice for All tour - two and a half hour set, the kick drums were like physical battering rams.
The band was a killing machine back then.
Tinnitus and a very sore neck for 4 days. I recall phoning home and not being able to hear a thing...perhaps the best indoor arena sound I've experienced.

Sepultura playing The Assembly in 2014 - small venue, maybe 300 people, WAY too loud, near enough to touch the band - a privilege to be so close to Eloy Casagrande playing live.

^^^^[that's me front and centre...]  ;)

Rammstein playing The Grand Arena in 2011 - agree with Legro, one of the best live shows I've seen (and felt)...those flamethrowers!
And I was right in the pit - was seriously worried about being crisped - simply phenomenal.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 08:45:09 PM by capetownwatches »

Offline naughty

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 11:22:44 PM »
I Don't know if anyone here went to a nightclub in Point Road Durban called "330" in the late eighties/early nineties - the place had one of the loudest sound systems i ever heard - if you were about to fall down the bass from their system would have held you up - and when you walked around the place you felt a hollow in the pit of your stomach as if you hadn't eaten for days

i was one of the very few non-white people allowed into the place - they were very strict on their whites only policy at that time in the apartheid days but i was DJ'ing at club Zoom pretty regularly at that time and the bouncers from 330 used to come to Zoom very often so the bouncers always let me in .... in fact i was very friendly with all of the nightclub bouncers in Durban so it wasn't the wisest course of action to start trouble with me at that time - i had some serious muscle as back up (was even allowed to carry my firearm into almost every nightclub in the nineties)

also why i was allowed into the club was that i knew Mimi Kesaris from his stints at Palladium in Isipingo (Mimi also won the SA DJ championships in 1989 and is still on radio nowadays AFAIK) ..... one of the best technical DJs of that era

but that sound system was another story - they had a warning on the walls that the SPL levels could sometimes exceed 150 db and yep - the number of people that used to vomit near the woofers were testament to the validity of that statement (okay maybe excessive drinking also had a part to play  :sh1tstirrer:) but to withstand the SPL levels of that place you had to be a brave soul  :EGrin:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:27:24 PM by naughty »

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 04:45:01 AM »
1984 Queen at Sun City. The night prior to our ticket date Freddy had lost his voice, so it was doubtful the concert would take place. It did. It was simply spectacular. My first live concert of an international group.

Fish from Marillion did a solo tour during the bands popular heyday in the mid to late 80's - around 86 if I recall. He played at some shitty pub at Randburg Waterfront. Small & fairly intimate venue, his performance was all acoustic, piano or guitar accompaniment. But what a powerful voice. He belted out "Forgotten Sons" and us youngsters had no idea how it would resonate to the idiocy we were about to walk into with national service.

Rodrigues 1998. Backed by Blue Sky. Standard Bank Arena. When he walked on stage the crowd erupted. It went on for 5+ minutes, just cheering & screaming. Through it all was Graeme (Graham?) Currie from Blue Sky just repeating the bass line from "I wonder" over & over again.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 03:05:49 PM »
@naughty how is your hearing Sir :ROFLMAO:
Marantz AV7705|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, B&W ASW850 and Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers, 685 and 686 Surrounds, CCM In ceilings| Optoma UHD40|Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver| Nvidia Shield

Online Katji

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 04:12:31 PM »
^^^I understand better now, why he has to change to headphones only in his new place.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 04:14:16 PM »
The sound from a large TurboSound rig at a small psytrance party in the late 90's.
The bass was so strong and clean, I remember the air in my nasal passages and sinuses resonating with the sound!

Offline naughty

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 11:14:05 PM »
@naughty how is your hearing Sir :ROFLMAO:

if i had to answer this in one word .... i have to say "buggered"   :sh1tstirrer: :EGrin: :EGrin:

^^^I understand better now, why he has to change to headphones only in his new place.

:shh:  ;)  :BWAHAHAH: :BWAHAHAH: :BWAHAHAH: :BWAHAHAH: