Author Topic: Converting speaker level (High level) outputs to Line level (Pre-out) outputs  (Read 283 times)

Offline leonpjhb

I need some help please...

I recently bought a Sonos AMP, the latest generation unit. It has the capability of functioning as a streamer and has a power amplifier built into it. I bought it to work with a pair of Sonus Faber Standmounts and it worked perfectly. Recently I had the opportunity to purchase a much larger set of floorstanders And I have a beefy power amplifier to feed these.

Problem:
The Sonos amp does not have pre-outs. There is another Sonos product (Sonos Port) that does have this, but it lacks some other features that I like in the Sonos AMP I do not want to go without.
I would thus like to convert the speaker outputs to Pre-outs via the use of an external device. I do not want to make any alterations to the Sonos AMP itself. In this way the Sonos AMP would act like a streamer and Pre-amp.

I have read about “Hi to Lo” Converters, also known as ‘Speaker level to Line level’ converters. These are mostly used in the automotive aftermarket industry to do exactly what I want to do.

Does anyone here have any experience with the above? I would appreciate a bit of advice.
I understand that some obvious concerns are: distortion, hum, etc. Some reviews of these devices like the one Russound makes are very positively reviewed with an absence of these issues reported.

Offline dolt

I was once in a similar situation. I bought a cheap unit from new world in Menlyn and with my setup, there was significant signal degradation. I wouldn't recommend it.

This was a passive unit. Maybe more sophisticated active units exist to attenuate the signal.
Dolt aka Resident Village Idiot

Crash Crusaders Dixon FTW

SAKYNO!!!!!!

Offline leonpjhb

Thanks, hopefully more experiences surface.

I was once in a similar situation. I bought a cheap unit from new world in Menlyn and with my setup, there was significant signal degradation. I wouldn't recommend it.

This was a passive unit. Maybe more sophisticated active units exist to attenuate the signal.

Offline isaac3201

I need some help please...

I recently bought a Sonos AMP, the latest generation unit. It has the capability of functioning as a streamer and has a power amplifier built into it. I bought it to work with a pair of Sonus Faber Standmounts and it worked perfectly. Recently I had the opportunity to purchase a much larger set of floorstanders And I have a beefy power amplifier to feed these.

Problem:
The Sonos amp does not have pre-outs. There is another Sonos product (Sonos Port) that does have this, but it lacks some other features that I like in the Sonos AMP I do not want to go without.
I would thus like to convert the speaker outputs to Pre-outs via the use of an external device. I do not want to make any alterations to the Sonos AMP itself. In this way the Sonos AMP would act like a streamer and Pre-amp.

I have read about “Hi to Lo” Converters, also known as ‘Speaker level to Line level’ converters. These are mostly used in the automotive aftermarket industry to do exactly what I want to do.

Does anyone here have any experience with the above? I would appreciate a bit of advice.
I understand that some obvious concerns are: distortion, hum, etc. Some reviews of these devices like the one Russound makes are very positively reviewed with an absence of these issues reported.

If you choosing a hi to lo converter I’d use a good quality one . I use a mosconi one to interface with my OEM head-unit with my Audison amps in my car and it sounds great (I’ve been through the cheaper ones before not worth it) .The size of it makes it easy to tuck away aswell .

https://mosconi-system.it/product/hla-slim-hla-dual/
Marantz SR5012| Rotel RB985| B&W 683s2, HTM61s2, AM-1 Surrounds, CCM In ceilings| SVS SB1000| LG C7 OLED|QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cables and Profile interconnects| Panasonic DMP-UB900 BDP| AppleTV 4K

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Do take note that modern compact switching amplifiers often do not like having their speaker negatives tied together at ground as many have both + and - output actively producing signal.  Like a balanced or differential amplifier. 

Some converters may tie left and right - to ground. 

Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too https://wa.me/27835651236?text=AVF%20 http://www.croak.co.za

Offline leonpjhb

Very valuable. Thanks!!

Do take note that modern compact switching amplifiers often do not like having their speaker negatives tied together at ground as many have both + and - output actively producing signal.  Like a balanced or differential amplifier. 

Some converters may tie left and right - to ground.