Converting speaker level (High level) outputs to Line level (Pre-out) outputs

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonpjhb

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I need some help please...

I recently bought a Sonos AMP, the latest generation unit. It has the capability of functioning as a streamer and has a power amplifier built into it. I bought it to work with a pair of Sonus Faber Standmounts and it worked perfectly. Recently I had the opportunity to purchase a much larger set of floorstanders And I have a beefy power amplifier to feed these.

Problem:
The Sonos amp does not have pre-outs. There is another Sonos product (Sonos Port) that does have this, but it lacks some other features that I like in the Sonos AMP I do not want to go without.
I would thus like to convert the speaker outputs to Pre-outs via the use of an external device. I do not want to make any alterations to the Sonos AMP itself. In this way the Sonos AMP would act like a streamer and Pre-amp.

I have read about ?Hi to Lo? Converters, also known as ?Speaker level to Line level? converters. These are mostly used in the automotive aftermarket industry to do exactly what I want to do.

Does anyone here have any experience with the above? I would appreciate a bit of advice.
I understand that some obvious concerns are: distortion, hum, etc. Some reviews of these devices like the one Russound makes are very positively reviewed with an absence of these issues reported.

Latest posts