Author Topic: Help requested with a media player  (Read 544 times)

Offline jlaubza

Help requested with a media player
« on: February 07, 2020, 04:41:33 PM »
Hi everyone, I need some advice please. I would like to get a good quality media player (a physical box), that supports an inboard hard drive if possible, with at least two usb B and 1 usb C ports and which handles the latest video and audio codecs.

I'm looking for something with a good quality sound as my prime requirement.

It must be capable of outputting 6 channel sound and handle up to 192 khz hi-res files.

My current cheap Stylus brand player I bought from CNA a few years ago is audibly constrained compared to a
Media8er 400x I borrowed. The Media8er runs very hot though and has only one usb port.

Anything decent in the local market place you can recommend? 

Thanks.

Offline MR.C

Re: Help requested with a media player
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 08:39:33 PM »
An Intel NUC is a 10cm x 10cm PC. Lots of options available in terms of hard drive and ram and also lots of options in terms of operating system. I have a NUC with Windows 10 loaded and an android emulator also running on it.

There are other options but I have chosen it over an android box as I get a windows pc and an android box in 1, and i can watch movies off a hard drive, networking to the main PC in the house, too many options.

Here's a link that might help :
www.newegg.com/insider/what-can-you-do-with-an-intel-nuc/amp/

You can get a cheap one for about R3000 ranging right up till about R10,000, depending on performance required.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline jlaubza

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 11:07:16 PM »
A very interesting idea indeed. Many thanks.

Offline sajunky

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 11:31:58 PM »
I agree with the first response, but OP requirement is 6-channel sound that requires proper sound chip or an external DAC and an efficient video codecs. Only large desktop motherboards support multiple sound channels. The last one is the most difficult, as Intel was late in implementing H.265 and VP9 codecs in hardware. Software solutions didn't work smooth even on the fastest CPU. It turns back to the desktop PC and the latest entry level GPU or an expensive current production models with the latest Intel CPU, perhaps AMD CPU's should be investigated.

In not these two requirements I would recommend older models of HP Pro 600 G2 Mini boxes, similar to NUC, but cheaper as the price include hard drive and memory. Like this one, but i7 is not really needed, i3 is fine: https://www.olx.co.za/item/hp-prodesk-600-g2-core-i7-6th-gen-28-ghz-8-gb-ram-500-gb-mini-pc-iid-1060881952

If it measures good and sounds bad—it's bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing.
/ Daniel R. von Recklinghausen, Chief Engineer, H.H. Scott/

Offline jlaubza

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 09:45:57 AM »
Thankyou for your useful recommendation. The HP G2 looks like a nifty replacement for those big box PCs.

Offline jlaubza

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 05:52:07 PM »
Looks like the Medi8er range of media players has disappeared from the SA market. Was sold by Sanji but their website only lists accessories, not the actual players. Any confirmation of the loss of this product in SA?

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 07:11:17 PM »
Looks like the Medi8er range of media players has disappeared from the SA market. Was sold by Sanji but their website only lists accessories, not the actual players. Any confirmation of the loss of this product in SA?

What happened to Mede8er?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_type=t&share_fid=37647&share_tid=18293&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emede8erforum%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D18293

They didn't feel it worthwhile developing a 4K player due to SDK limitations on the Realtek chip.

I was part of the Beta firmware testing team back in the day. At the time it was probably the best on the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exclame 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Moth Audio MK808|Sumiko Pearwood|Vivere|Sonor Claro

Offline jlaubza

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 03:39:14 PM »
Hi FranzAR, sorry to hear about Mede8er's demise. Seems like nothing else similar on the market? The link you provided did not open on my browser.

On a different topic, I see you list the Sonor Claro speaker as part of your kit. What do you think of it? Thanks.

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 03:41:44 PM »

On a different topic, I see you list the Sonor Claro speaker as part of your kit. What do you think of it? Thanks.

They work very well with the VA equipment. Very happy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Exclame 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Moth Audio MK808|Sumiko Pearwood|Vivere|Sonor Claro

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 07:18:34 PM »
an i5 nuc with kodi will do everything you require
audio is passes through to your avr for  processing
you dont need much i was runng hevc on my celeron nuc with 4gb ram
so an i3 or i5 will do just fine
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 07:50:52 PM »
I have a NUC with Windows 10 loaded and an android emulator also running on it.

Which Android emulator do you use or recommend?

Offline MR.C

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 08:20:42 PM »
Which Android emulator do you use or recommend?
From what I read, most popular is Bluestacks, I used Noxplayer and works very well.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 05:52:01 PM »
What do you use the emulator for ?
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 06:33:12 PM »
What do you mean output 6 channel audio?

Does it need to output 6 channels of analogue out, or does HDMI audio out to an AVR suffice? Alternatively USB out to a 6 channel DAC (if that even exists, other than sound-cards of course), another alternative is optical or coax out if 5.1 DD/DD+ etc. will suffice (toslink can't support 6 channel LPCM).

Offline jlaubza

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 09:47:19 PM »
I have multichannel hi res flac files for 5.1 surround. The media player must be able to output these into my denon avr via hdmi.