Author Topic: Audio via optical from Samsung Q80R TV to Integra AVR  (Read 188 times)

Offline Alpine

Audio via optical from Samsung Q80R TV to Integra AVR
« on: January 25, 2020, 07:55:22 PM »
Hello good people. I have a Samsung Q80R QLED tv connected to my Integra 30.5 AV receiver via an optical cable. Whenever I change channels on DSTV (which is connected to the TV via HDMI) or when I pause a show, the audio cuts off for like 30 seconds before the amp “finds the signal” again and then I get the audio from the AVR. The TV audio output is set as optical. Any advice on what could be the cause here? I changed the optical cable and that made no difference.   

Thank you all.

Offline FranZAR

Re: Audio via optical from Samsung Q80R TV to Integra AVR
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 08:30:43 PM »
Why not just connect the DSTV decoder to the AVR on HDMI and AVR HDMI to TV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exclamé 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Moth Audio MK808|Sumiko Pearwood|Vivere|Cardas|Sonor Claro

Offline msch997

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 08:41:42 PM »
Why not just connect the DSTV decoder to the AVR on HDMI and AVR HDMI to TV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Q80R and everything including DSTV is connected to the AVR (Denon) via HDMI and then I have an HDMI from the AVR to the TV via the Samsung One Connect Box that is included with the Q80R.  The AVR connection to the One Connect Box in my case is from the HDMI/ARC output port on the AVR to the ARC HDMI port on the One Connect. (its HDMI port 3 on the One Connect Box) that is for apps on the TV ie I use the Samsung netflix app.  But the ARC functionality is not used at all if no TV apps are in use.  A DSTV decoder into your AVR and then the AVR into the One Connect via HDMI works like a charm even if no ARC compliant HDMI ports exist on your AVR.

Offline Alpine

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 07:52:21 AM »
Thanks all. Can you still use the Samsung remote to control the avr volume etc and the Netflix and Apple TV appa on the TV all work fine with the setup using HDMI? The AVR remote does not work (well the volume buttons in particular) so I would prefer to control the setup using the TV remote if possible. Thanks again good people.

Offline msch997

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 10:14:21 AM »
As I stated above the key is connecting via the HDMI ports with ARC  for apps on the TV to pass sound to your connected AVR via HDMI.

"The AVR connection to the One Connect Box in my case is from the HDMI/ARC output port on the AVR to the ARC HDMI port on the One Connect. (its HDMI port 3 on the One Connect Box) that is for apps on the TV ie I use the Samsung netflix app. "

Samsung Remote control over the AVR is also related to ARC and related to HDMI CEC you will have to work with the Q80R settings options and the AVR settings options around this.  Or call the people you bought the devices from.

'