Author Topic: Overhead Atmos Speakers Advice  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Chez 1981

Overhead Atmos Speakers Advice
« on: January 21, 2020, 05:00:35 PM »
 Good day Guys,
 Im new to the forum, been wanting to join for a while now.
 Anyone here used a 4ohm ceiling speakers on a 8ohm receiver for Atmos?
 Not sure if it will overheat the receiver as much as constant fronts or surrounds would do being more frequently active.

Running Onkyo TX NR 676

Cheers
Hold my beer while i do this !!!

Offline XL1000

Re: Overhead Atmos Speakers Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 08:15:22 PM »
What speakers do you refer to?
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline Chez 1981

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 08:32:23 AM »
The speakers in question are the Atlas 8" In ceiling type. Not sure how they sound yet. My only concern is running them long term on a 8ohm receiver as they are 4ohm. Although it will only be used for the height channels.

Offline XL1000

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 08:43:23 AM »
The speakers in question are the Atlas 8" In ceiling type. Not sure how they sound yet. My only concern is running them long term on a 8ohm receiver as they are 4ohm. Although it will only be used for the height channels.

Setup
0 Settings for the speaker configuration you have
connected need to be made in "1. AccuEQ Room
Calibration" in Initial Setup (P22).
0 If any of the connected speakers have an
impedance of 4 Ω or more to less than 6 Ω, after
completing Initial Setup, you need to make some
settings in the Setup menu. Press on the
remote controller, select "2. Speaker" -
"Configuration" and set "Speaker Impedance" to
"4ohms".

https://www.it.onkyo.com/downloads/3/1/3/5/9/Manual_TX-NR676_676E_BAS_En.pdf
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 08:49:21 AM »
What makes you believe your receiver is 8 ohm only? From what I can see the (if this is your receiver https://www.it.onkyo.com/downloads/3/1/3/5/9/ONKYO_TX-NR676E_datasheet_EN.pdf) then it is advertised as being able to drive 4 ohm loads. More importantly though is the sensitivity of your speakers as that would determine how much you'd be pushing them.

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 08:55:27 AM »
Ignore the manual, don't set impedance to 4 Ω, leave it at 8 Ω. The option is only there to satisfy regulatory bodies, you will only limit output by changing impedance.

Offline windshear

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 09:18:03 AM »
Also the amount of sound in the overhead channels is nothing compared to the mains and surrounds, if its even encoded into a specific movie. You will never run into an issue.

Offline Chez 1981

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 09:25:32 AM »
Will give it a go, not sure how those 8' Atlas are going to sound, not very familiar with them but should be ok for height effects...I hope!!
Was hoping for 4 overheads :sd:

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 09:29:09 AM »
Will give it a go, not sure how those 8' Atlas are going to sound, not very familiar with them but should be ok for height effects...I hope!!
Was hoping for 4 overheads :sd:

Out of curiosity, why is your heart set on those specifically?

Offline Chez 1981

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 09:37:59 AM »
It was given by a client, it would not be my first option thats for sure. Would rather first test them before i judge them lol, if im not happy i will give them away to someone in need.

Offline XL1000

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 02:57:32 PM »
It was given by a client, it would not be my first option thats for sure. Would rather first test them before i judge them lol, if im not happy i will give them away to someone in need.

If you as you seem, have the means, do so now. There are way better options and not all that expensive either...!

Ignore the manual, don't set impedance to 4 Ω, leave it at 8 Ω. The option is only there to satisfy regulatory bodies, you will only limit output by changing impedance.

Quite correct. My post was informative, not instructive.

Offline Chez 1981

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 08:21:42 AM »
If you as you seem, have the means, do so now. There are way better options and not all that expensive either...!

What would be a good affordable option, im not willing to spend what Klipsch wants for over heads.
I could use the 51M's as top front side wall mounts at 45 degrees and add the rears or overheads later as i dont have enough space behind seating position. I will be building my Theater room in a few months.

Offline XL1000

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 01:51:19 PM »
I think you should put some more thought and planning into this. There are guys and girl/s here that had done HT setup with excellent results.
I have yet to go Atmos but when I do, I will be using matching speakers as my surrounds and centre are.

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 02:37:13 PM »
After doing quite a fair bit of research I decided to go for Polk OWM-3 (which I haven't received yet, only bought them today thanks to @BiZKiT for supplying them). They were often recommended as "on-ceiling" speaker, don't sound too bad, and because of their profile and mounting options I can mount them on my slab ceiling and angle them towards the couch. In-ceiling speakers would have required a mounting box being built for them etc. and most bookshelves were too large. I had some Jamo bookshelves mounted as heights but the setup wasn't workign for me.

On the other end of the spectrum are small lifestyle speakers but those too are on the one end of the spectrum very expensive, or on the other end usually part of a cheap HTIB kit.

Offline juventino

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 02:45:52 PM »
even a pair of Boston Bravos would work well if the Polk was not an option.
Listening put on hold for a while, but end game reached. Couldnt be happier with my system. Next will be new room tweaks.