Suggested budget stereo Amp {or 5.1 if cost effective)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatwhite

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Greetings all. I'm looking for a replacement for my aging and occasionally dicky Marantz PM44SE amp. It is intended to drive a pair of Celestion speakers of slightly (but not much) later vintage. The input sources are my PC and a chromecast audio, both of which have analog and digital outs, so an Amp with an onboard DAC would be nice

Have looked at amps like the pioneer SX-10 and it's largely equivalent Onkyo 8220 (apart from the price being double) stable mate. But was wondering if there are also other relatively low cost options available

I've also looked at units like the denon AVR-X250BT which is R1k more then the pioneer sx-10, but has onboard DAC with 2 optical inputs. the HDMI and the additional channels would allow for retasking later as well.

The sound on non of these amps is wow, judging by reviews, but at the price I can hardly expect it to be and given the acoustics of my study, investing pricy equipment makes little sense anyway, but if there we other budget friendly options that you think I should look at, I'd be most grateful for your input - thanks in advance!