Author Topic: synergy / compatibility / functionality / purpose - hifi gear  (Read 806 times)

Offline gavinbirss

synergy / compatibility / functionality / purpose - hifi gear
« on: January 11, 2020, 08:18:41 PM »
In the spirit of the cable thread I would like to gather ideas around synergy / compatibility / functionality and purpose of hifi gear.

i.e a MC phono has more gain than a MM phono and only R loading where a MM has the addition of C loading. This provides the correct functionality?

on the other hand preamp A sounds more musical than preamp B in the same system. This is synergy?

So a cable A sounds more likeable compared to cable B this is?

Let us try and better differentiate between what makes some kit sound "better".

Offline gavinbirss

Re: synergy / compatibility / functionality / purpose - hifi gear
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 07:44:59 AM »
I may need to make a very controversial statement for this thread to get attention.

here goes

Audioquest speaker cables only function correctly if used in the correct direction.

Offline Dhiveshan

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 08:28:15 AM »
Cables have a direction ???  :giggle:

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »
IMHO synergy between gears is both critically important and often very difficult to identify.

I cannot scientifically explain why my amplifier A sounds fantastic with DAC B but not so great with DAC C, which has a very similar build, all other things being equal.
It just does, and I only found this out by experimentation and much listening. The specs gave no clues, input and outputZ numbers almost identical.

The black art of choosing gears that play nice together is one shrouded in mystery and anecdote.
It's what we all strive for regardless of cost.
Cables have a direction...?  :thinking:

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 11:13:50 AM »
I make my own cables.
I connect source to amp based on the direction of the writing on the dielectric...just because I'm OCD that way.  :nutter:

I cannot hear any difference if I reverse them, but I get a sense of mild unease...
Of course YMMV.

Offline Wietsche

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »
Learning about and making your own proper cables are very rewarding. It is the only way to stop worrying about your cable quality, connectors etc, and move on from trying all kinds if snake oil and various kinds of audiophoolery.

At least you know what you have and you are listing to, and what materials the cable and connectors are made of. And you can change one veriable at a time when making the next cable to try and hear the difference, and most importantly identify what exactly sounds better to you. Else you are just gambling without knowing the odds.

+1 for making one's own cables.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 09:35:40 AM »
time for another controversial statement

current can not flow without resistance

Offline tiaand

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 09:59:55 AM »
Learning about and making your own proper cables are very rewarding. It is the only way to stop worrying about your cable quality, connectors etc, and move on from trying all kinds if snake oil and various kinds of audiophoolery.

At least you know what you have and you are listing to, and what materials the cable and connectors are made of. And you can change one veriable at a time when making the next cable to try and hear the difference, and most importantly identify what exactly sounds better to you. Else you are just gambling without knowing the odds.

+1 for making one's own cables.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

+1 here too. And its fun and rewarding as well

Offline chrisflex

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 07:32:29 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 08:12:11 PM »
This thread is not getting the traction I hoped for.

Here is another controversial statement:

Devaliet amplifiers sound best with Magico Loudspeakers

Offline VALVAGLO

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 11:28:34 PM »
I understand that music is alternating current, so if the cable is pointing in the right direction when the pulse is positive then the negative pulse will be travelling against the chevrons.

So ,do we want to hear the positive pulse best , or the negative pulse.
If we are talking about direct current , then directionality would theoretically be the better way to use the cable.
"A man without tools is like a fish without a bicycle" Quote from Jim Gore

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 09:22:30 AM »
Were is our debate team?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 10:10:57 AM »
We hunting trolls. 

Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too https://wa.me/27835651236?text=AVF%20 http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Trashy

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 12:42:51 PM »
HiFi noob here.
A week ago I thought anyone who said they can "hear the difference" between different cables was stark raving mad.

Well over the weekend I bought a set of speakers (Mission M34i) and the guy threw in some brand name cable (Van den Hul the Snowline). Nothing fancy I know, but I've been using no name brand 10awg copper cable.

So I thought this is going to be a nice little upgrade, but I doubt I'll notice the difference.

Hot dang when I plugged them in it was as though my tweeters had been disconnected!
Used with my Kef Q35, they were suddenly robbed of their sweet highs. Honestly terrible.

So I put the no-names back on and all was good.

I then used the Snowline with the Mission M34i's I bought, and they sound really good. The bass has tightened up and they are no longer harsh when being pushed hard.

Mind. Blown.

I have the strange urge to go spend money on good cables now...