Just my 2 cents

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorneDJ

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Bought a AKG K701 a while back, and when Cure advertised his Grado SR80 I took that, but missed the Sennheiser HD595. Did manage to get the HD555. Been using them for the past few days, unfortunately using the Audigy 4 / PC with a few songs that I love and know well. Once I have more time I will plug in the Aurelia I bought a long time ago and switch it on for the first time  :-[ (work ... work ... work). Will spend more time with all three later and expand on this. This is very brief, my views.

Anyway:

GRADOS
I listened a few songs on it. It is very easy to drive, far more than the K701's. The sound is clean, yet I just feel as if it misses something. Very good highs. It is not as comfortable as the other two cans. It does the job, but I was not impressed. Faint smell of smoke so I gave them to a friend. I have never smoked (have not even tried) so I pick up smoke over a mile.

K701
Really great cans. Sound is brilliant, more bass and cleaner highs than the Grados. Is the most difficult can to drive of the three. Even at full volume it is still rather soft. It is almost as if the bass is there, waiting in reserve ... never to dominate. I think this one seriously need a dedicated headamp. It is retired to the bedroom on top of the Aurelia.

HD555
Brilliant. On the Audigy is sounds better than any of the other phones. Bass sounds more punchy than the other phones, but I feel that the K701 can play lower bass. Listening to 02 - Pachelbel , Canon in D I can hear the cellos, yet it just seems to disappear at times. The deepest / lowest bass notes just disappears away. But with rock the bass is just sooooo punchy. Since I listen mainly to radio during day I changed my K701 with these. They are very comfortable. The little headphone stand that screws to the table is a brilliant little addition. Based on the performance of this phone I am considering getting the HD800 at some time to use.