Author Topic: Technics SL1200 mk2 refurb  (Read 450 times)

Offline Raffs

Technics SL1200 mk2 refurb
« on: January 08, 2020, 11:42:37 AM »
I've decided to take on a new project , I managed to aquire 2 x SL1200s a year or so ago with the intention of refurbing and customizing them , I'm not clued up on the mechanics and technical workings of TTs but enjoy the format  so I thought this would be a great opportunity to learn as I go along , I'm sure I will hit a few potholes along the way and I know I will regularly dip my feet into this pool of vast knowledge for guidance and assistance on my journey. My plan is to respray/ powder coat the top body in pearl white , sort out the silver bits either re-chrome or polish the the shiny bits , service the pitch control mechanisms and re-callibrate , clean PCBs , check for dry joints serviceability etc , replace the feet probably with prettier ones , look for dust covers (probably aftermarket , the origionals are hell expensive) check tone arm wiring and calibration , replace the RCA and cable with a better quality etc. Fortunately there is quite a bit of info and how to's on line and youtube .... So here I go.....I bit the bullet yesterday and stripped one of them. I would appreciate your advise , input on the following

1. Should I respray or powder coat ? , which one would be more cost effective and durable taking into account my colour choice. Any advice on where I can have this done (preferably in the East Rand)

2. A long shot but does anyone have a 1200 dust cover or 2 , Technics headshell ?

3. Where can I source parts locally , I think Mr Mint is no longer doing this , the website is down

Thus far I have managed to source new LED kits Blue , and decals. I know this is going to be the first of many requests for assistance so thank you in advance

This is what it looks like

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 11:46:27 AM by Raffs »
Trust your senses !!

Offline Rogan

Re: Technics SL1200 mk2 refurb
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 02:02:13 PM »
What material is the body?

Offline Raffs

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 04:17:29 PM »
What material is the body?
Aluminium me thinks
Trust your senses !!

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 04:33:44 PM »
^^^ Yes. It's an unspecified aluminium alloy. I know this because in a former life I tried to get one anodised. It was a failure. I recommend getting it sprayed.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Rogan

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 05:00:16 PM »
strange corrosion

Offline whd003

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 05:34:39 PM »
While working on a few SLs the older models was a aluminium die-cast containing some silicone and or  magnesium that is why it does not anodize so well.  To do proper treatment double or triple the price!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline Raffs

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 09:45:31 PM »
strange corrosion
Must have been in a club for  any years plus it was from the coast ... probably tucked away in a garage or something
Trust your senses !!

Offline Mzwakhe

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 09:59:43 AM »
Hi.
Powder coating is a cheaper option. I have done appliance white on one i did some time ago. considering you want pearl white, spray painting is the way to go. Parts will be hell expensive.

If I may ask where di you get the blue LED's I want a set too.

Offline Raffs

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 09:32:32 PM »
Just a small update, thanks to all for you assistance and PMs...I decided to go the powder coating route , thanks to Mike for putting me in touch with the right people and I must say I'm very happy with the result , I had to move on my colour choice , although you can get a large variety of colours and metallics but the only issue is that powder coaters don't keep most in stock rather the more popular colours especially for small job like this, next is to put on new decals and seal them. I have serviced and cllabrated the pitch controls and replaced the indicator light .... only to find out one of the PCB's has gone the way of the dodo  :sd:  ... if by chance anyone has one please please  :pray: .. need to strip polish and service the tone arm mechanism (I suspect this is gonna be .... interesting  :giggle:)... get a few parts i.e. 45 adaptor, cueing lever, armrest clamp, 2 feet ( no socks required), so if there are any of these floating around please shout  ... so far its been fun and a great learning experience . Is there anyone locally that sells parts ? This is what they look like now.... my usual disclaimer .... I'm sure I will tap into the wealth of knowledge and skills on this here forum  :rubhands:
Ta!

With black arm base

Arm base Powder Coated gloss black
Trust your senses !!

Offline Raffs

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 09:36:50 PM »
Trust your senses !!

Online JoziNic

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 10:07:54 PM »
a few parts i.e. 45 adaptor, cueing lever, armrest clamp, 2 feet ( no socks required), so if there are any of these floating around please shout 

Looking great!
Mr vinyl has tonearm clamp (not too much cash) and feet, quite a bit more cash. And some other SL1200 goodies.

https://www.mrvinyl.co.za/product-category/accessories/page/2/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 10:41:40 PM »
Looking great!
Mr vinyl has tonearm clamp (not too much cash) and feet, quite a bit more cash. And some other SL1200 goodies.

https://www.mrvinyl.co.za/product-category/accessories/page/2/

Mr Vinyl has had the ads on their site for a while but you will get nada.

Exclame 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Sumiko Pearwood|Vivere|Sonor Claro
Yamaha RX-A2050|Panasonic 65"|MA Silver 200|MA Silver C150|Polk RC60i

Offline Raffs

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 12:20:17 AM »
Mr Vinyl has had the ads on their site for a while but you will get nada.

Yip called them no answer , no response to mails .... looks like e-bay here I come

Looking great!

Ta!
Trust your senses !!

Offline Frans Lundie

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 06:58:59 AM »
You can get hold of Crashhappy, he's got some Technics headshells available

Offline Raffs

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 09:35:39 AM »
 :puke