Author Topic: Political Correctness  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Honda xr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
Political Correctness
« on: January 07, 2020, 10:47:35 AM »
Seeing as my post about the root cause of climate change was removed after the use of the name of the church whose priests are so often accused of other improprieties, I put it to you that political correctness is fake. It does not describe the real world. Your views?

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Resident Troll
Re: Political Correctness
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 11:52:23 AM »
On the internet political correctness is very real. Does it represent the real world? Depends on where you’re standing. In any case, if you want to change the real world, pick up a stone from around where you’re standing and hurl it at whatever it is you don’t like. Be prepared to deal with the consequences. On the internet, it’s all just bull excrement.

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 11:56:20 AM »
I didn't see your post, so don't take my comment as an indictment, but I see a lot of people spouting a lot of hateful, ignorant things with little to no understanding or self-awareness and then arguing against political correctness in defence when they're called out for it. Personally I find the image of Greta on the verge of a gang-bang offensive on multiple levels, but I believe everyone should have the right to express themselves. This isn't my platform however, and those running it have the right to decide what appears on it.

I will point out though that overpopulation is not the root cause of global warming, it's the excess of CO2 primarily from burning fossil fuels. Though of course there are many other contributing factors, flatulent livestock (not raised in rural Africa) well outstripping human output being one of them - if that's a concern, try cutting down on how much meat you consume. Overpopulation is not the concern we once thought it was, with ageing populations in first world countries and social advancements in poorer nations it's predicted that we'll stabilise at around 9 Billion, with a higher than 25% chance the population might actually begin to fall by 2100.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 11:58:42 AM by KenMasters »

Offline chrisflex

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • I know it's only rock 'n' roll but I like it...
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 02:46:54 PM »
Joe Gould: In the winter, I'm a Buddhist; in the summer, I'm a nudist!

From Joe Gould’s Secret
"...songs about dreams...Actually, songs that are dreams for me.
They seem to go beyond songs about something, they seem to go someplace
where thay are like dreams themselves when you hear them."
Tom Waits

Offline Den123

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 03:42:17 PM »
 This should be interesting...
 :popcorn:

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 03:45:27 PM »
First off, this thread smells of bait...the kind that results in post count dropping

if that's a concern, try cutting down on how much meat you consume. Overpopulation is not the concern we once thought it was, with ageing populations in first world countries and social advancements in poorer nations it's predicted that we'll stabilise at around 9 Billion, with a higher than 25% chance the population might actually begin to fall by 2100.

The actual CO2 output from meat is paltry compared to most other human endeavour in industrial living. The Vegan nutcases will segregate the animal output from the environmental net outcome to further their ideological arguments and the media is happy to cash in on the click bait. Cows on grass are a net sink net if they aren't housed on concrete and their water consumption....lands back in the eco system that houses them along with fermented cellulose which is fantastic for grasslands ability to build deep root systems and regulate water in time of drought. This assumes herd behaviour that's natural or mimics such. The question isn't temp rise, it's what influence one can have on it and there isn't certainty, just correlations with some models with limited predictive power. n=1 experiment. We had this whole thing with CFCs and the ozone hole and the models that came from the same quarters are now so far out of whack they are rarely mentioned again.

The over-consumption of refined grains most certainly is a health disaster for humanity, and a great boon for dentistry and the pharma industry around diabesity.

I ignore the media around above mentioned kid activist, but I pity her for her obvious malnourishment. Her bone structure is indicative of lagging behind many milestones, sad.

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 03:58:29 PM »
I hate PC. Liberal fascists dictating what can & cannot be said or sometimes even done.

It's simple. Do not set out to knowingly and/or willingly harm anyone with what you say. You may get it wrong every now & then, however then just remember the one single thing about offense: Offense is always taken. Never given.

"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 04:26:05 PM »
The actual CO2 output from meat is paltry compared to most other human endeavour in industrial living.

I know, I pointed that out. I mentioned cattle in relation to humans only in terms of direct impact (i.e. flatulence) jokingly.

The Vegan nutcases will segregate the animal output from the environmental net outcome to further their ideological arguments and the media is happy to cash in on the click bait. Cows on grass are a net sink net if they aren't housed on concrete and their water consumption....lands back in the eco system that houses them along with fermented cellulose which is fantastic for grasslands ability to build deep root systems and regulate water in time of drought.

Well that sounds wonderful, but it does not reflect the current reality of the cattle industry or the excessive consumption of meat its complexes were designed to meet.

This assumes herd behaviour that's natural or mimics such. The question isn't temp rise, it's what influence one can have on it and there isn't certainty, just correlations with some models with limited predictive power. n=1 experiment. We had this whole thing with CFCs and the ozone hole and the models that came from the same quarters are now so far out of whack they are rarely mentioned again.

So a climate change denier, history is not going to be kind to our generation. The concentration of CO2 is increasing because we're burning fossil fuels, it's not that complicated.

I ignore the media around above mentioned kid activist, but I pity her for her obvious malnourishment. Her bone structure is indicative of lagging behind many milestones, sad.

Oh, she's malnourished, poor dear. Well, carry on in good health, we'll be long gone before any of this global warming stuff will affect us anyway - let future generations fend for themselves. Pity we have to listen to them kick up a fuss about it on our way out the door though.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 04:31:06 PM by KenMasters »

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »
So a climate change denier, history is not going to be kind to our generation. The concentration of CO2 is increasing because we're burning fossil fuels, it's not that complicated.

Thanks for showing the use of framing. Try again with actual reasoned argument next time pls. Per capita meat consumption is about on even keel with history, historically a bit low perhaps.

Regards global warming, I am well familiar with the mechanisms since middle school and don't deny them. What I will say is that human causation is not causally linked but correlated in terms of the data which makes arguments for causation lack predictive power. I don't call the merits of arguments around climate change, just point that similar models got it wrong with CFCs for the same lack of predictive power and that other than corollaries not much is currently known. The FFT and wavelet thermal models predict we're on an upwards slope for some time still, let's see how it pans out as we will. The earth has been hotter and colder in human history.

The human caused increase in CO2 is indeed fuelled by fossil fuels that sank carbon millions of years ago into the ground. The only question that interests me is the magnitude of the human influence and I haven't seen conclusive evidence yet. You're quick with shooting a messenger making hardly any substantive points. You make bold claims. I'm not bothered by you, just prefer to have reasoned rationale and not hysterical discourse.

Offline legro

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 06:24:19 PM »
Sjoe^^, let me just quickly make a point and then get out of the way of the heavy hitters. ;D

I see some similarities between political correctness and alcohol: both serve as a social lubricant and make half truths and blatant lies sound palatable.

Alcohol firmly gets my vote though - political correctness requires so much more effort and concentration.

Online Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • #whenpeoplezol
    • jagasounds
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 06:29:50 PM »
The original topic /sort of/ = "politically correct."
Anyone who writes that without quotes is part of the problem.

Whatever.

I don't call the merits of arguments around climate change, just point that similar models got it wrong with CFCs [...]

This now is a model of propaganda.  The latest episode being The Greta Thunberg Show.

Yes, some of those memes are disgusting. "Take from whence it comes."

And btw, something i saw yesterday reminded me how they changed it from "global warming" to "climate change" after so many countries had the coldest winters in the last 100 years or so.

So ja, it took a while for people to get to some understanding that smoke does not just blow away.

[...]  The FFT and wavelet thermal models predict we're on an upwards slope for some time still, let's see how it pans out as we will. The earth has been hotter and colder in human history.

Quite extremely so too.
That's what gets me.  It's like people are on about climate change caused by [only] human activities, but how stable do they think this planetary system really is, what do they think it is? 

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 06:47:08 PM »
I must look up these memes perhaps. Only one I've encountered yet is where she was voice cast auto tuned to a death metal tune after some speech calling for panic. All I see is a girl with some physical health issues and a lot of media hype around children skipping school on Fridays to protest...not my scene so I focus my energies elsewhere.

Online Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • #whenpeoplezol
    • jagasounds
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 07:15:11 PM »
Don't bother.  The only ones that weren't quite puerile were those referring to her nonsense "you stole my childhood," compared to child labour and so on, which is beside the point anyway.  Then again, all natural reactions to a performance like that.

Offline Den123

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 07:26:36 PM »
I thought this might be an “active” thread.

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 09:30:45 PM »
Thanks for showing the use of framing. Try again with actual reasoned argument next time pls. Per capita meat consumption is about on even keel with history, historically a bit low perhaps.

Regards global warming, I am well familiar with the mechanisms since middle school and don't deny them. What I will say is that human causation is not causally linked but correlated in terms of the data which makes arguments for causation lack predictive power. I don't call the merits of arguments around climate change, just point that similar models got it wrong with CFCs for the same lack of predictive power and that other than corollaries not much is currently known. The FFT and wavelet thermal models predict we're on an upwards slope for some time still, let's see how it pans out as we will. The earth has been hotter and colder in human history.

The human caused increase in CO2 is indeed fuelled by fossil fuels that sank carbon millions of years ago into the ground. The only question that interests me is the magnitude of the human influence and I haven't seen conclusive evidence yet. You're quick with shooting a messenger making hardly any substantive points. You make bold claims. I'm not bothered by you, just prefer to have reasoned rationale and not hysterical discourse.

A reasoned, rational person wouldn't feel qualified to disagree with the overwhelming scientific consensus (80*-97 percent of actively publishing climate scientists agree on global warming):

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

*I include the 80% as certain defenders of the status quo have argued against 97%, and this is the lowest feasible number I've seen proffered.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:44:08 PM by KenMasters »