Author Topic: Political Correctness  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Political Correctness
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2020, 11:22:22 AM »
There is a reason I hold many of the older & established bike clubs in high regard. They have a very clear code of conduct & all involved know without any doubt what may and may not be said or done. Respect is key to everything. If the code is breached it is dealt with swiftly, if not immediately. Clear hierarchy, both within the club & within the region & ultimately the country. There is never any doubt nor grey areas. You f*ck up & retribution is swift & harsh. Which is exactly how I believe it should be everywhere, all the time.

My take-away from this is that a system works as designed. Whatever system it may be. It is when the system is not properly implemented (or enforced), maintained and improved - as required - that things go awry.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • #whenpeoplezol
    • jagasounds
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2020, 03:17:29 PM »
In the late 90's we had a staff member stab another. He was arrested on a charge of attempted murder. Released on bail of R50-00 the following Monday. Injured staff member returned to the stable yard (his place of residence & work) 2 weeks later. The very same day I brought him back from hospital the chap on bail pitched up. This time with a firearm, to do the job properly. He was successful. He then decided I would be his next target, as [...]

Exactly.  [If you watch SABC] you see it quite often, ordinary people of the community telling the story. Basically same story each time.  "We took him to the police station, then..."  One I saw recently, the person (a community leader,)  said the police told him that [as per rules] they had to release [and so on.] But he asks, "What must we do, what can we do?"
The natural result, you know.  Old principle.  Because necessary for any civilisation.

And someone recently said, somewhere here, isn't law and order one of the basic or fundamental purposes of govt.?  No, it is the one most fundamental purpose.
It is the main reason why we [as humans] submitted to kings and so on, to paying tax to pay for it.
The primary responsibility of the government is to maintain law and order so that the ordinary people can carry on with their agriculture and trading.

>> "It is the main reason why we [as humans] submitted to kings and so on, to paying tax to pay for it."
That then extends to maintaining a defence force, men and weapons, to protect the community from robbery [etc] of neighbouring peoples.

It is not a matter of death penalty or not, it is a matter of deterrence, of protection.

The first part of the justice system is the police, the policing function.  That is half the problem in SA, at least.  Across the board.  From theft through to corrupt actvitities of local civil service people.
The problem is so extensive, so pervasive. it seems that there is a problem with "not being able to see the wood for the trees."
Keyword "impunity".  Failure of justice system, beginning with the police.

Offline legro

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2020, 11:02:59 PM »
Sorry to have steered this from PC to the death penalty - two of my bugbears. ;D

I'll bow out with this: belief in " Divine Retribution " as a soothing balm is, finally, a cop out.

Just as the belief that a higher power will provide for hunger, poverty, inequality, injustice to man and beast etc etc.

In all of the cases above we need to get off our backsides and do something.

We are putting too much on the Big Guy.

" Thoughts and prayers " if that's your thing, will not help for the poor and downtrodden.

It will also not help for the murderous.

Offline kenvanraas

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2020, 11:30:43 PM »
^^^ Its about/among earthlings this one  :dop: