Author Topic: Cables again - some more explanations...  (Read 7764 times)

Offline Vince MacMahon

Re: Cables again - some more explanations...
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2020, 09:46:54 AM »
I went haywire  and re-did all my essential power cables. Removed all standard cords

To close out on this; see below pictures: the standard cords are fully insulated from head to iec female plug, no screws to open and see what’s inside which makes it tricky to know what you have. If you study the pictures below; the girth of the two standard cords is similar ( had I not cut them, I wouldn’t have known that there is very little wire in one of them).

If you don’t believe in cables, but yet want comfort, perhaps get yourself home made ones from cables at electrical shops with plugs and string it together yourself. Atleast you will have 100% confidence ito what you have.

Better yet, if you are a Hi-Fi enthusiast, get them damn decent power cords, you won’t regret it! They look good too.....Mine are well worth it IMHO, I’d do it again hence upgraded all 3 setups.

Until next time,

Enjoy the music!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2020, 12:47:50 PM »
Some good advice given here. I would just like to add my 2c for the benefit of the casual reader, especially newbies:

One often sees arguments posed as "cable believers" vs "cable unbelievers".  This is an unfortunate misrepresentation of the actual situation. As a basis, cables have to be "good enough". The pics above show clear examples of the difference between an under-spec (maybe even illegal) cable and one that may be good enough. I say "may be" because the lesson proposed above is that the one way to be sure that you have the right cables in place is to make it yourself (or, at least IMO, have it made to your requirements).

In my "as a basis" statement we are looking at 3 scenarios (this includes both cable and connectors):

1. Under-spec cable. Can pose an electrical hazard and may negatively affect product performance.
2. On-spec "good enough" cable. Meets the electrical requirements of the equipment and cannot, of itself, affect performance.
3. Over-spec cables. These include extra thick conductors and special connectors. They bring no sonic benefit.

I don't want to make this a point 4 but there is, however, an argument to be made for parts and materials that have superior quality and therefore improved long-term reliability. This is a reliability issue, and not a "cable" issue. I have seen many vintage components with oxidised connectors; it is an often-neglected aspect of AV equipment care. This is one of the great risks of investing in vintage equipment.

Beyond this point arises opportunity for snake oil peddlars. Proceed with caution.

But this is not the end: what about (as above) mains conditioners/filters and the like? There are scenarios where they can have benefit. But note: it is not a "cable" issue. The main purpose of a mains conditioner is to establish a barrier between your equipment and the uncontrolled/uncertain mains supply. The idea is to filter out unwanted mains-borne noise, which can include random spikes and radio frequency energy.

So much for electrical noise originating from external (uncontrolled) sources, but what about electrical emissions that are generated by your AV equipment? Yes: AV equipment can generate electrical noise. It is a sad but seldom acknowledged fact that even high end equipment can have susceptibility to EMI (electromagnetic interference) and also may be emitters of EMI. (EMI is also commonly called RFI - radio frequency interference - although the latter is a subset of the former). This is where a further tweak can help: shielded mains cable. Mains cables unavoidably come into close range of audio cables. Although small-signal audio cables (interconnects) are typically shielded, there is still a risk of susceptibility, especially in close proximity. If correctly implemented, the braiding on shielded cables may form a Faraday shield around the mains conductors and so contain electromagnetic emissions for the run between the equipment and the mains outlet.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »
Absolutely, couldn’t agree more with you. For all intents and purpose....a good quality cable + connectors is a minimum.

Offline sajunky

« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2020, 04:15:53 PM »
If you study the pictures below; the girth of the two standard cords is similar ( had I not cut them, I wouldn’t have known that there is very little wire in one of them).
You cut it on the wrong side. On the other side wires are thicker.  :point:

In a case a cable had proper conductors, you could just add SA plug and bring it back to service. It is difficult to find IEC plug for manual assembly.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 04:24:36 PM by sajunky »
If it measures good and sounds bad—it's bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing.
/ Daniel R. von Recklinghausen, Chief Engineer, H.H. Scott/

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2020, 06:22:24 PM »

Offline sajunky

« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2020, 08:36:16 PM »
This was not expected!

:Whoohoo: :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo:
If it measures good and sounds bad—it's bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing.
/ Daniel R. von Recklinghausen, Chief Engineer, H.H. Scott/

Offline isaac3201

« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2020, 09:44:12 PM »

No cables were harmed during the making of this  :giggle: . Thanks for sharing Bra V
HT: Marantz ,Dynaudio ,SVS ,LG C-series OLED ,QED Silver Anniversary XT cables ,Apple TV 4K , Sony BDP-S370 | STEREO: Marantz PM UD NA  Stack ,Dynaudio Emit M20 ,QED Silver Anniversary XT cables ,Apple AE 2nd gen

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2020, 11:38:39 AM »
The conductor size should be printed or embossed on the jacket on stock cables.

Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too  http://www.croak.co.za https://instagram.com/croakaudio?igshid=1wzr83vlqtbyy

Offline chrisflex

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • I know it's only rock 'n' roll but I like it...
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2020, 11:46:19 AM »
"...songs about dreams...Actually, songs that are dreams for me.
They seem to go beyond songs about something, they seem to go someplace
where thay are like dreams themselves when you hear them."
Tom Waits

Offline handsome

« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2020, 11:46:44 AM »
Where can one get shielded mains/3 core cable in SA?

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2020, 12:04:29 PM »
Where can one get shielded mains/3 core cable in SA?

bulk or terminated?

Hi-Phibian has some nice offerings or you can even get something like Lapp Olflex Classic 100 CY from RS Electronics.

https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/cy-cable/4440238/

Offline handsome

« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2020, 01:33:15 PM »
Moderately steep price there...

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Offline Vince MacMahon

Cables again - some more explanations...
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2020, 01:37:02 PM »
What was the expected price per meter?

Thats R100 a meter which I think is rather reasonable borderline cheap.

Offline Katji

« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2020, 02:27:15 PM »
Ah, reminded me, I also wanted to ask.
So, 50 metres, R5112 - I think we'd need to do a group buy. ...bit of a schlepp.  ...Would need a MOQ...like 5m x 10 people.

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2020, 03:17:24 PM »
It works out to R 102.25 a meter.

I bought a 50m roll recently.

The more expensive Supra Lorad will be much more flexible and a lot easier to terminate but expect it to be around 5 times more per meter.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:21:35 PM by gavinbirss »