Author Topic: Sansui 220 Valve Amplifier  (Read 205 times)

Offline Dhiran

Sansui 220 Valve Amplifier
« on: January 06, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »
Hi There Guys.

I have the above unit and I would like to know some details on it. I have not switched it on yet but have been told it works.
How good is it and what speakers can I hook up to it?

regards

Online El Sid

Re: Sansui 220 Valve Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 04:59:38 PM »
Hi Dhiran - it is a sweet little unit - I almost bought one once but the seller got cold feet.

Unless you saw it working yourself, I would be a bit wary of the "have been told it works" (unless by a trusted forum member ;)) as it is an old unit and some of the capacitors may be dodgy. It would be advisable to power it up through some sort of current limiter (e.g. dim bulb) at first and only once you are sure it working OK then use it as normal. Remember that it must have speakers plugged in.

As to which speakers, I can't recommend anything specifically but since the amp is relatively low-powered more efficient speakers would be advisable. There are a few of these floating around on the forum so I'm sure some more specific recommendations will follow.

Offline Qualityten

Re: Sansui 220 Valve Amplifier
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 05:16:29 PM »
It is a nice mid-fi amp from the mid 1960s.  Some pics here: https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sansui-220.521305/

It uses ECL82 (US name 6BM8) valves, which are very sweet sounding.  If you remove the base and look inside you will see many grey, tubular caps.  These are paper in oil and tend to dry out an fail.  This is also a possibility with the big multi-section can capacitor visible on top in front of the power transformer.  Modern equivalents are available and forum members can advise about replacing them.  If you can solder, you can do this yourself.