Author Topic: Model C schools please  (Read 169 times)

Online Vince MacMahon

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • One Life...Live It
Model C schools please
« on: December 04, 2019, 06:49:26 PM »
I had a nice bank balance this morning till I paid 2020 school fees. admired it for a minute and thought of all the wonderful audio gear I could have gotten.  :drool:

Good government schools are few and far in between,  we have 1 in the entire area which has a waiting list from Cape to Cairo.
so we are left to go to Private Schools:
With private schools, you get the smallish ones which are reasonable and the mainstream ones which have traditional values, sporting heritage, etc.
the small boutique private schools are near useless when it comes to sports, so won't work for my children.
then left to the sharks......Rxxx xxx per child per annum

At least I get a 5% discount if I pay now (Dec) but bras tax...its still a whopping amount of money,
especially when paying tax!!!!!!  :walled: can I get a tax break please

anyways - what happened to the so called Model C schools (Part government funded, part private)

Marantz - Bowers & Wilkins - AudioQuest
In all 3 Set-ups

Online chrisflex

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
Re: Model C schools please
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 07:25:07 PM »
Every time I see another corruption scandal I just think of how much better off we all would have been if all this looting could just stop.

Eskom, SAA, and Prasa.

How many schools, clinics, hospitals, houses. and other things could have been built with that money.

How many jobs could have been created in the process., and we could actually get some value for our taxes.

And your kids could go to school around the corner and get the same standard of education as any kid anywhere in the country.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:29:19 PM by chrisflex »
There’s no such thing as the past, it exists only in the memory. There’s no such thing as the future, it exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate the only thing they would ever say is now.”
― Damien Echols, Life After Death

Online SOAN

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 07:30:56 PM »

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 04:42:21 AM »
Model "C" schools were abolished by the ANC.

Some reverted to government schools, others (like Grayston Prep - formerly Sandown Primary) went private. Some still try to work on a Model C system (like Fourways High), but government policies make it difficult for them to enforce higher (than norm) school fees for those who cannot afford it, so it tends to evolve to lowest common denominator over time.

Private schooling in SA is a exorbitantly expensive & will continue to become even more expensive as more & more of the top teachers emigrate. Our school has had 4 teachers emigrate to NZ in 2019. 5 more have left the school to go to other local private schools, and in some instances it's a straight "swap" - our French teacher goes to Pretoria, their French teacher comes to St. Peters. With a salary hike each time of course.

My son's 1st year engineering fees at TUKS for 2020 are the equivalent of 1 terms school fees this year.  :puke:

*Insert profound or witty phrase here*