Author Topic: Drs are prescribing music  (Read 288 times)

Offline Morne Coetzee

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • POWER | PRECISION | PURITY
There is Always justification for more Amplification!

Offline Ampdog

Re: Drs are prescribing music
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 06:01:00 AM »
Interesting Morné.

I was associated with these effects, particularly on sleep, some 40 years ago. (Only time I know of that one actually got a salary for being asleep at work!) Interesting brain wave patterns emerged; unfortunately the programme was stopped because there were no more funds (someone in his/her wisdom decided that such was unimportant).  For myself, have been using these effects ever since High School. In the hotel I slept soundly when others knocked on my door when Liszt's 'Les Preludes' played too loud! I could only not study with any music on, like some of my fellow students found essential (fortunately not my room mate!).

I am sure this 'science' has been greatly expanded since then; did not at this time read all of your quoted document.  (As you concluded from the above, the type of music was sometimes contrary to expectations. I could sleep well with Tchaikovski's 1812 Overture on the go!)
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Online chrisflex

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 05:54:58 PM »
Alive Inside: A Story of Music and Memory

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alive_Inside:_A_Story_of_Music_and_Memory

See it if you can

There’s no such thing as the past, it exists only in the memory. There’s no such thing as the future, it exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate the only thing they would ever say is now.”
― Damien Echols, Life After Death

Offline Lamb Chop

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 08:47:42 PM »
It's been known for a while now that music soothes people with Alz (Sorry Mr Coetzee - I have not watched the vid you linked, will do so a bit later) but here is my 2c.
Certain bass sounds have been used by people of the east to treat people. My information on this is very sketchy but as far as I recall it is laying on a board like a piano with bass notes being played.
Recent studies have also shown that 40HZ sound improves cognition in people with dementia. When researches linked the 40Hz sound with strobe lights at the same frequency the improvement increased. The duration of 1 hour per day yielded positive results.

A bit off-topic, if the mods will please allow me, a great improvement has been shown in cognitive improvement with the use of MCT oil - many researchers think/postulate dementia (Alz in particular) as type 3 diabetes. MCT oil easily crosses the blood brain barrier. MCT oil is very expensive. Many people have probably heard about using coconut oil for cognitive decline (as substitute for MCT oil.) That is fine because coconut oil is mostly MCT oil. The problem is not many people know what the therapeutic dose of coconut oil to take is. Is it 7 teaspoons per day. It has worked wonders for thousands of Alz sufferers. Google it. Another supplement that is extremely helpful is Lions Mane mushroom extract. A 10.1 extraction of about 500 mg per day would yield marked improvements, especially in people who are in the early stages of dementia. Sorry for the digress mods. Dementia and Als has sadly affected one of my dearest family members. Many many people suffer from it, or are going to. I bible punch these aids because I have seen first hand how it works.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 10:50:25 PM »
Thank you for the off-topic information, Lamb Chop, much appreciated. I know the ravages of Alzheimer's and pray that someday there would be a cure or treatment. It is a devastating condition for the person and the loved ones.
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.” Alan Watts

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 04:38:16 AM »
It's been known for a while now that music soothes people with Alz (Sorry Mr Coetzee - I have not watched the vid you linked, will do so a bit later) but here is my 2c.
Certain bass sounds have been used by people of the east to treat people. My information on this is very sketchy but as far as I recall it is laying on a board like a piano with bass notes being played.
Recent studies have also shown that 40HZ sound improves cognition in people with dementia. When researches linked the 40Hz sound with strobe lights at the same frequency the improvement increased. The duration of 1 hour per day yielded positive results.

A bit off-topic, if the mods will please allow me, a great improvement has been shown in cognitive improvement with the use of MCT oil - many researchers think/postulate dementia (Alz in particular) as type 3 diabetes. MCT oil easily crosses the blood brain barrier. MCT oil is very expensive. Many people have probably heard about using coconut oil for cognitive decline (as substitute for MCT oil.) That is fine because coconut oil is mostly MCT oil. The problem is not many people know what the therapeutic dose of coconut oil to take is. Is it 7 teaspoons per day. It has worked wonders for thousands of Alz sufferers. Google it. Another supplement that is extremely helpful is Lions Mane mushroom extract. A 10.1 extraction of about 500 mg per day would yield marked improvements, especially in people who are in the early stages of dementia. Sorry for the digress mods. Dementia and Als has sadly affected one of my dearest family members. Many many people suffer from it, or are going to. I bible punch these aids because I have seen first hand how it works.

Also slightly off topic, but relates to dementia. Many patients have been given "cat therapy" - my late uncle was one of them (he had both Parkinsons & Dementia). Cats purr at frequencies between 20Hz & 140Hz.

Studies have shown that bone healing responds to frequencies of 25 to 50Hz, whilst soft tissue responds to around 100Hz.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 10:24:34 PM »
Drs Dre, Feelgood and (for some extreme cases) Hook have all been prescribing music for a good few years.  Dr Feelgood even prolonged the life of one Wilko Johnson substantially through music.  Dr Dre has been struck off recently for prescribing other narcotic substances for Chronic patients though..... :EGrin:
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....