Author Topic: So what is your 2020 AV / HiFi upgrade plans?  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Curlycat

Re: So what is your 2020 AV / HiFi upgrade plans?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2019, 07:32:45 PM »
 :faint: 2019 was to finish half of my plankies  :giggle:
Hulle het kleintjies gekry sedertdien
I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is. Alan Watts

Offline Eben

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2019, 10:44:30 AM »
I am busy with a fairly large upgrade. I have spent the last year (with my architect) designing our new house in in Waterfall Estate. The main feature of the house is the music room / theater, all other rooms are functional (in my opinion, my wife has other priorities :)). We have just broken ground (see pic). I will keep you guys posted. I am in west Africa now working (setting up.... whatever, another discussion). I started a thread some time back, I will pick it up again as soon as something interesting happens.

This room will be housing my Avantgarde System and projector. This will be my biggest upgrade ever.

Offline bearenzo

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2019, 11:07:01 AM »
I am busy with a fairly large upgrade. I have spent the last year (with my architect) designing our new house in in Waterfall Estate. The main feature of the house is the music room / theater, all other rooms are functional (in my opinion, my wife has other priorities :)). We have just broken ground (see pic). I will keep you guys posted. I am in west Africa now working (setting up.... whatever, another discussion). I started a thread some time back, I will pick it up again as soon as something interesting happens.

This room will be housing my Avantgarde System and projector. This will be my biggest upgrade ever.

I know that estate very well, the distance between you & your neighbors is small ( 4~6 meters )
I hope you'd chosen sound proof windows or at least double glazing windows for your music room.

Offline Eben

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 03:51:51 PM »
I know that estate very well, the distance between you & your neighbors is small ( 4~6 meters )
I hope you'd chosen sound proof windows or at least double glazing windows for your music room.

The neighbours across the road that you can see on the pic are my closest neighbours. The road side is actually the back side of the house. The view is in the opposite direction where we look over a river to the neighbours about 300m in the distance. On the one side is a servitude and the other a road. It is rare to have such an isolated stand in Waterfall but that is why I chose it.

Offline Eben

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »
This is the view to our neighbours on the noisy side of the house. To the right is a servitude and to the left a road. It is a quiet part of the estate with almost no traffic.

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2019, 05:30:33 PM »
🤷🏽‍♀️
Marantz AV7705|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and ASW850 Subwoofwers, 685 and 686 Surrounds, CCM In ceilings| Optoma UHD40 projector|Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver| Nvidia Shield

Offline cybasoul

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2019, 08:53:34 PM »
I have a 7 by 8 meter cinema/play room that's empty and bare waiting for funds, and for funds it shall wait for a while.

So next year I'm planning to rather work on our the tv room which is 6 by 6 by 3.+ (nice high ceiling) and Im planning to do the following:

1 - Go from 5.1 to 7.1
I have a pair of DM601 and a Nad C 275BEE waiting to come out of retirement.

2 - Do proper room acoustic treatment
Treat all key surfaces, effectively and still get a nod from the wife.

3 - Get a projector
With a motorized screen because we will be predominantly using the TV

4 - Build an IB subwoofer
Maybe two manifolds of 2 x 15/18'

Offline Regatel

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2019, 10:29:37 PM »
Took my old stereo setup out of storage earlier in the year and loving it again.  Planned for incremental upgrades over time with an annual budget set.  If I upgrade anything next year Ill be in 2027s budget already

Realistic, amp or speaker replacement to try and volume balance between the main speakers in the house and the outdoor speakers

Offline christowp

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2019, 10:59:27 PM »
No upgrades. happy with stuff in "stock" and in daily use. Organising cables a priority, rearranging gear in stands and racks, general tidying up and cleaning stuff. Research power conditioners - again. Not sure they are as useful as often indicated.

Offline naughty

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2019, 02:58:23 AM »
i'm moving from my large flat into a smaller flat - so the new place doesnt really allow loud music or loud TV - so anything with speakers is basically persona non grata there - so i have to have something to listen to music with - so still have the PCs and the Microserver as a source - and for now i have a Fiio M11 pro DAP and a set of Hifiman HE4xx whcih sound okay with the DAP as a complete source but brilliant when using the DAP as a DAC and the PC as the source - and also have a few Chi-Fi IEMs - so over the next year or two in no particular order

1) a Set of Dynamic headphones to complement the Planar magnetic Hifiman .... probably an HD6xx or one of the new full black HD600 or if the budget allows it a nice working second hand set of HD800 at the price of a new set of HD600 will be the first prize and as time and funds permit nurse the HD800 back to life

2) a few more Chi-Fi IEM experiments along the lines of a KZ ZS10 or Tin audio P1 or T4 or some interesting Planar IEMS that have come about called the Shuoer Tape - all of this is still just speculation and maybe as time gets closer there might be newer more interesting models

3) then i need a decent desktop DAC/AMP but also still considering getting another ifi iDSD micro Black label to fit the bill here because it has features up the Wazoo and because its a hybrid between R2R and Delta Sigma it still sounds pretty marvelous to my ears - and sometimes it is better to stick to the devil you know that to take a leap of faith to the devil you don't unless i get something at a bargain that specs better then iDSD Micro BL at a price thats too hard to resist (the ifi is also fairly transportable so is a multi purpose Swiss army Knife type of device in that it can serve much more than one purpose)

4) also going to definitely get a Fiio BTR5 - that is the ultimate bluetooth device available and it also features a USB type C DAC DAC that utilises a pair of mobile ESS 9218 chipsets (for a mobile device that costs less than R3k that is remarkable because it wasn't that long ago the ESS 9018 was a really high end chipset used in in higher end devices and they are using two if the newer higher spec ESS 9218 in a mobile device under R3k) And i think that this might be my first purchase as a start next year when my moving flat stabilises 

Other than the above i can possibly see a few interesting headphone or earphone purchases as funds permit over the next few years - i don't think i will be able to do a "Ron G" and buy a top line DAP anytime soon - and my purchases are mostly going to be stingy cheapies that just about do the job (though it will all be researched to death so i can get the cheapest stuff that possibly does the best job in its price range to keep me happily listening to my music)

Online Jason Willemse

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2019, 12:27:26 PM »
My audio plans for 2020 are simply to do a lot less fiddling and enjoy what I have built up so far.

Audio treatment in the stereo room will be the last bits of the project, and the only piece I will continue to be on the hunt for is a Marantz SA-10 S1 in champagne silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2019, 01:13:30 PM »
My goals are to complete an AV stand, integrate a neat amp solution for my 3-way curved baffle horn setup and get round to some for fun projects that are waiting on shelves.

Offline Audioholic

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2019, 03:51:20 PM »
Apart from listening to my favourite MP3's streamed via bluetooth, with amp tone controls and loudness on, assisted with a 14 band analogue EQ  :BWAHAHAH:...

i'm planning on getting a decent network audio player to maximise the benefits of the streaming service. And some network speakers for my garage perhaps
Stereo: Pioneer, pioneer and more pioneer, Valve Audio, Sonor Audio, Audiolab
HT: Onkyo, Energy, Velodyne

Offline Katji

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2019, 04:19:37 PM »
^^^I've been looking at how I can use network, including wi-fi, to stream music from laptop and phone, without too much extra boxes, without firmware control apps etc.  ...And without $$$$, unfortunately. 

Offline naks

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2019, 05:12:12 PM »
Looking forward to listening to the NAD T778

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

LG OLED55C7, Oppo UDP-203, Cambridge Audio CXR200, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), SVS PB-1000 sub