Author Topic: TV Advice Needed (Urgently)  (Read 797 times)

Offline Deezil

TV Advice Needed (Urgently)
« on: November 29, 2020, 11:35:13 AM »
Hi guys, I need urgent TV purchasing advice. Suffering from Analysis Paralysis I simply cannot make up my mind

I'm not interested in any Smart features, living in a Klein Dorpie has it perks but blazing fast Internet isn't one of them. Since most TV's have this functionality these days I probably don't have an option.

All I really want is a Big TV for watching Sport (90% use case) ... Motorsport, Football, Tennis, Rugby, Cricket etc etc via DSTV decoder. Other 10% will be late night Discovery, National Geographic or History on the very odd occasion. Maybe a Sunday evening movie once a month.

I'm sitting about 2.6m - 2.8m away from my TV. I was initially looking at 55" offerings but buy once, cry once has me looking at 65" Models as well. I was really thinking of spending 10k max but if the missus isn't watching I may get away with another 5-6k on top of that.

Motion Blur is probably my biggest concern. I also really prefer a central stand over 2 flimsy legs.

Samsung 65Q60T / Samsung 65TU8500 / Samsung 55Q70T all caught the eye. Wish I had enough funds for a 80R or 80T

Hope that is enough info. Any Recommendations?
Foobar2000 | Audioengine D1 | Yamaha AX-396 | Wharfedale Diamond 10.6

Offline Curlycat

Re: TV Advice Needed (Urgently)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 12:36:02 PM »
@KenMasters will likely be able to answer you.
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”  Alan Watts

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 03:33:34 PM »
The Q60T is a 60Hz set I believe, so unfortunately motion won't be the best on it. The Q70T should be a 120Hz panel, so it will do a better job with 24fps content and should offer better motion interpolation. However, at the distance you're seated, I would think the size difference trumps any advantage on the motion front. You might feel differently.

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 03:43:57 PM »
On size, 65” without a shadow of doubt!

I had a few 55” before migrating over to 65”.....don’t miss it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline Deezil

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 03:49:56 PM »
On size, 65” without a shadow of doubt!

I had a few 55” before migrating over to 65”.....don’t miss it!

Lol thanx. Which one though?  :thinking:

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 03:52:44 PM »
If you can stretch the budget, Q70 no doubt.

Michael (on here) has Q80 and it did seem like a step up from Q70

Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline Deezil

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 03:53:36 PM »
Sort of resigned myself to go blow the budget and just get a QA65Q80T and be done with it. Seems like the only places who advertised at Black Friday prices are out of stock. Schitt  :sd:

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »
Lol thanx. Which one though?  :thinking:

While there isn't all that much between the two 65" sets, the Q60T is quite a bit brighter, so at the very least it'll do a better job of overcoming brighter living room conditions.

Sort of resigned myself to go blow the budget and just get a QA65Q80T and be done with it. Seems like the only places who advertised at Black Friday prices are out of stock. Schitt  :sd:

That would be the better option - better motion and much improved picture quality (due to the full array local dimming).

Offline Moolz

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 08:56:06 AM »
I just bought an LG 65Nano86. 2 days in and really enjoying it. Went into the Hirschs to buy the Q70 55" and liked the LG more.

Offline 70007

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 09:28:25 AM »
I just bought an LG 65Nano86. 2 days in and really enjoying it. Went into the Hirschs to buy the Q70 55" and liked the LG more.

Yes I also bought that model about 2 weeks ago, so far very happy with it. I prefer LG's operating system and smart remote. Braai room and main bedroom TV's are also LG, although they are 49". Very happy with them as well.

Offline Deezil

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 07:22:58 PM »
Thanx guys. Settled for the 55Q70T. Was delivered today. Damn it's gorgeous and damn I'm glad I didn't go for a 65 incher. It's huge (for me)

Now of course with the smart functionality I quickly realised my 30 year old Stereo receiver simply won't cut the mustard so ja, I'm off searching for a cheap AV receiver  :Ooooooh:

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 11:33:03 AM »
I find that the TV's look smaller in the shop than what they look at home. Enjoy your new TV.  :thumbs:
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”  Alan Watts