Author Topic: Otari MX50 Tensioner Upgrade  (Read 728 times)

Offline christempler

Otari MX50 Tensioner Upgrade
« on: November 24, 2019, 08:07:59 AM »
My Otari MX 50 had very badly worn tensioner guides as per the pictures. I approached Dewald from 77 Mfg and he came up with a modification that is both effective and elegant. This modification can also be applied to the Otari MX5050.

Very well done!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/tv9cilso/
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russel

Offline marcochezzi

Re: Otari MX50 Tensioner Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 01:20:56 PM »
Thank you christempler, I might just make myself a set as well..!!

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 02:17:13 PM »
^ make a solid teflon roller rather , like on the Fostex machines. Bearings eventually get noisy, teflon neither wears nor gets noisy.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline christempler

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 08:19:05 AM »
Teflon, nylon and Vesconite were considered. As My Studer A80, my Fostex E2 and my Akai M9 all use bearings, that was the route chosen for the Otari. I previously owned an Otari MTR 90, a Revox A700 and going back to my original tape deck a 1947 Brush Soundmirror and all of those used bearings.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russel

Offline christempler

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 08:25:39 AM »
Come to think of it my Ampex 300 also used bearings
-Bertrand Russel

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 11:34:25 AM »
Be as it may, there's another reason for using Teflon roller as a replacement for traditional solid metal guides - you can reproduce it in the same diameter as the original which in case of tensioners means that the length of the lever remains the same so tuning of tensioner force (where relevant) remains the same as factory spec.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis