Introduction

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifter

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jip, this is me.

So many of you would have read my review of the Bentley speakers when I changed from the Tannoy set I've been using for the past few years.
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,82712.0.html

I did not have an opportunity to test them before I bought them and basically took a "leap of faith". So after about 3 weeks of almost continuous use of them in my cinema room, I was still so surprised and excited by my upgrade that I contacted Vaughan Bentley, introduced myself and attempted to convince him to offer a more widely available demo opportunity here in Cape Town.
Long story short, I ended up telling him that I think I can offer potential clients a decent demo opportunity and 22 years of advice that comes from a passionate audio and videophile.
He agreed that I can give it a shot, probably against his better judgement.
I dug deep into my savings and obtained the entire 1-series of Bentley speakers, from the substantial FS-150 floorstanders all the way to the 6" in-ceiling speakers. All arrived today.
I'm hoping to also obtain and offer demo's of the 2-series soon.

I came up with a few potential names for the business and THE BOOM ROOM was my preference. My wife told me I'm crazy (she's not far off) and I decided a more professional name is more suitable. I ended up with REVELATION as I felt that it represented how felt when I listened to Bentley's and compared them to other speakers in the same price range.

I have a day job and a pretty demanding one at that, so this is an after hour and weekend endeavour but I am home most evenings and most weekends for demos. I'm based in Durbanville, just off the N1 one so it easy to reach.

So what can I offer; a full 7.4.2 Atmos cinema featuring all Bentley speakers. Equipment is currently:
Denon AVR-4300 receiver
Rotel 1075 power amp driving left/centre/right
Samsung UBD-K8500 4k bluray player
Apple TV 4K
Bentley FS120/FC150/two sets of FR100 + two sets of in-ceilings for Atmos
Twin SVS PB12 subwoofers
Edwards Audio turntable
Optoma UHD51 projector

We can swap around between the various Bentley speakers and you can compare them directly to one another all in an acoustically treated listening space.
You are welcome to bring your own amp around to test them.
I also have a full NAD setup (C320 amp/C540 cd-player) if you want a demo using stereo components.
If you want, we can also arrange a home demo (t&c's apply to protect me from skelms).

I offer wine, beer, tee, coffee and I will gladly share with you my favourite Atmos movie scenes and musical passages.
I'm a tech junkie and can show you how I use Roon and Tidal for music streaming, various options of using Netflix, Amazon Prime etc for streaming and can show you what a 4k HDR projector setup looks like and will give you some thoughts to what is possible home cinema wise in a domestic setup.

So what is my aim. Pretty simple really. I love the hobby and I love tech. I love online shopping but I hate online retailing for hifi/audio/video equipment. I firmly believe that you should be able to see and hear what you are planning to buy. There are only a handful of brick and mortar retailers left in the Cape. Some I've frequented (none represented here on the forum) have sales people that have absolutely no idea what they are doing and have no passion for the equipment they want to sell. Many guys starting out with the hobby are too scared to ask silly questions. I want to help them through showing them what is possible, giving them good advice and introducing them to a brand of speakers that provides unbeatable bang for buck. Hopefully this can all lead to converting a new generation of iPod kids into proper audiophiles. Salted audiophiles are of course also welcome.

If this resonates with you, send me a PM and come and visit me one evening/weekend.

I'm planning a single amazing launch offer. Keep watching this board.

Latest posts