Apple TV and Disney - non-UHD

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolby

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I've just realised that Disney movies streamed through Apple TV, are lacking UHD and HDR.

I bought the Lion King (2019) yesterday and paid R169.00 for it - and noticed afterwards it was only HD. I figured something with the app on the Samsung QLED and had someone else check on a 'real' Apple TV - but also only HD quality on a brand new title. Google confirmed this ... and I see it's a long time issue that users hoped would change. But now with Disney+, I'm thinking they're going to use this to their advantage :

In other words, there?s a fairly significant mark up if you want to buy the new 4K versions of Disney?s movies on the Google Play platform. A handy reminder of why Disney won?t allow Apple to sell 4K versions of its films, given Apple?s policy of selling 4K films at the same price as HD ones.

Apple Inc. (AAPL) has inked deals with all of the major Hollywood studios to sell their 4K movies via ITunes for $19.99 each. But the one notable holdout is the Walt Disney Co. (DIS), which is gearing up to launch its own streaming service in 2019.

Apple has signed new deals to sell movies in ultra high-definition with every major Hollywood studio except the one with which it has long been closest? Disney.

Latest posts