Author Topic: Which Meanwell SMPS would you choose?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Crankshaft

Which Meanwell SMPS would you choose?
« on: November 14, 2019, 01:36:47 PM »
Narrowed my options for 150 - 200 watt SMPS down to the following two:

1.  Meanwell SP-150-24   -  https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/files/pdfs/productPdfs/MW/Sp-150/SP-150-spec.pdf
150 watt 24 volt / constant current limiting / power factor correction circuit.

2.  Meanwell LRS-200-24  -  https://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=435
200 watt 24 volt / hiccup-mode protection type

They are both about the same price. Please help me decide.

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Which Meanwell SMPS would you choose?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 04:59:19 PM »
What is your application, Tom?

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 05:39:33 PM »
In my opinion Hiccup mode is the better if you can live with the PSU shutting down and then trying again on overload.

Read more here - https://www.power-supplies-australia.com.au/blog/mean-well-power-supply-hiccup-mode
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 08:29:55 AM »
It's to power this little power supply:
https://www.banggood.com/RIDEN-DPH5005-Converter-Constant-Voltage-Current-Programmable-Digital-Power-Supply-Module-p-1230368.html?rmmds=myorder&ID=514833&cur_warehouse=CN

The voltage can be up to 50, but the current should not exceed 10A.

I'm getting a 24 volt PSU, as I thinking that it is possibly a more useful voltage for other applications.

The bigger SP-240-24 is another unit that I'm considering, but it has a fan, where as the smaller 150 and 200 watt ones cool with free air convection.

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 09:25:09 AM »
It's to power this little power supply:
https://www.banggood.com/RIDEN-DPH5005-Converter-Constant-Voltage-Current-Programmable-Digital-Power-Supply-Module-p-1230368.html?rmmds=myorder&ID=514833&cur_warehouse=CN

The voltage can be up to 50, but the current should not exceed 10A.

I'm getting a 24 volt PSU, as I thinking that it is possibly a more useful voltage for other applications.

The bigger SP-240-24 is another unit that I'm considering, but it has a fan, where as the smaller 150 and 200 watt ones cool with free air convection.

The specs says it requires >28V and 280W which is 10A to operate correct output. So I would get a PSU that can do that and not limit myself to 24V. Looking at the onboard cap array I think it will handle hiccup mode.
Herman

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 09:41:34 AM »
From what I can see, it can use an input from 6 - 50VDC and a maximum current of 10A.
This is the buck/boost model, so it can output a higher voltage than the input.

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 10:12:02 AM »
That is a nice powersupply - I have an older version. It is a buck converter, so just get the 48V meanwell - it will have a higher efficiency, and no downsides. I would also go for the 200W PSU - that should allow you to get almost 40V at 5A out of the PSU. (Will be slightly lower due to losses)

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 10:15:00 AM »
That is a nice powersupply - I have an older version. It is a buck converter, so just get the 48V meanwell - it will have a higher efficiency, and no downsides. I would also go for the 200W PSU - that should allow you to get almost 40V at 5A out of the PSU. (Will be slightly lower due to losses)

Do you reckon the 48v supply will be a better choice than the 24v one.

Less chance of exceeding the 10A limit?

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 10:28:13 AM »

100% in agreement. This is what I would choose. If you are worried about the fan, check if you get a model where the fan only comes on when it reaches a high temperature.
Herman

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 10:31:43 AM »
Do you reckon the 48v supply will be a better choice than the 24v one.

Less chance of exceeding the 10A limit?

The 48V input will allow you to get higher voltages at the output, without compromising maximum current (since it is a buck converter). The 5005 has decent protection itself - including a number of fuses (surface mount), so I would not really worry about the 10A input limit.

That said, I would not recommend this setup for HIFI audio, perhaps testing, but you will have quite a bit of ripple and noise on the PSU lines.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 10:38:56 AM »
Thank you for all the input.

To be clear on the 24 vs 48 volt question:  This model can also boost the voltage, so is it better to rather have a higher input voltage so the boost function is not used too heavily?

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 10:44:51 AM »
Thank you for all the input.

To be clear on the 24 vs 48 volt question:  This model can also boost the voltage, so is it better to rather have a higher input voltage so the boost function is not used too heavily?

More voltage boost, less amps ... and much less efficient. So yes, use the higher voltage input.
Herman

Offline Contrabass

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 11:15:24 AM »
Cranky
You could always go for an old-school (especially if you have the parts hanging around) power supply.
Transformer + bridge rectifier + smoothing caps.
It does not matter that this transformer based power supply is unregulated - your DC to DC module will handle voltage regulation and current limiting.

I bought this one -  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32857772579.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6a124c4dh5BDzf
It is a boost only unlike your converter which is buck and boost.

I set my desired output voltage and maximum output current with the on-board pots.

For the 12V DC supply to the converter I use a suitably modified PC power supply which can produce 18 amps at 12V and is cheap !

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 11:57:12 AM »
48 volts it is then.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 11:34:23 AM »
Final report:
I ended up getting the RSP-320-48

What I like about this unit is the fan has speed control.
The extra power will come in handy for future needs.