My Linn restore

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I was lucky enough to get hold of an LP12 in pretty good cosmetic nick. It's serial number (early 60k) suggests it's a Nov '84 model. So it has many of the improvements already incorporated. Problem was that it was in storage for 18 years, so it needed a whole overhaul and to have the important bits inspected. I'm hoping to get new belts and rubber suspension grommets soon, so what I have will have to do for now. Not that there's too much wrong with them, but after 26 years they can do with replacement. Also, the Valhalla board wasn't working. After some swearing I managed to get it to work, but only after I made an isolation transformer to test it with.

This is what it looks like in pieces. It was stripped to the last nut and bolt, thoroughly cleaned and then carefully put together making use of the Linn Service Manual.
IMG_1684.jpg

The rubber bits don't look bad at all, but will be replaced soon
IMG_1685.jpg

Even the plinth is in brilliant nick (and the lid does not have a scratch!!)
IMG_1686.jpg

The repaired Valhalla board. This one already had the Zener mod, I just had to change the one resistor for an NTC Thermistor to bring it up to the latest spec.
IMG_1689.jpg

Can you see the irony in this Pic?
IMG_1690.jpg

I fashioned a Jig together just to get things roughly dialled in. I'll spend more time with alignment once I get the replacement suspension bits. I also need to find an armrest for the arm and to find a Rega RB250 armlift rest (as I borrowed one from another arm).

There's still a few issues to resolve, mainly the serious amount of hum coming through. This gets more as you touch the arm, so I might have a bad connection somewhere. Unfortunately I've not had any time to work on it today, as I've been in bed most of the day...