Author Topic: Skyworth 65S9A OLED  (Read 4740 times)

Offline arvie

Re: Skyworth 65S9A OLED
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 06:38:17 PM »
Wow its $3000!?

So, for a change, we get it cheaper here in SA than US.

Does one really need the best video processing chips inside the TV?  Don't most of us have good AVRs with decent enough 4K video processing etc. I don't have much 4K content to watch to worry about difference between HDR10 and HDR 10+.  As long as my Marantz does a good job of upscaling 1080p to 4k, I'll be happy.  I don't have a 4K TV though.

Also, never cared for smart TVs because I always had a streamer which had the intelligence built-in (such as my Nvidia Shield TV).

The Skyworth pricing is attractive but I've always been an LG fan as well.

Online KenMasters

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 08:28:55 PM »
Does one really need the best video processing chips inside the TV?  Don't most of us have good AVRs with decent enough 4K video processing etc. I don't have much 4K content to watch to worry about difference between HDR10 and HDR 10+.  As long as my Marantz does a good job of upscaling 1080p to 4k, I'll be happy.  I don't have a 4K TV though.

There's a lot more that goes into creating the image than upscaling (also, you should always disable the video processing in your AVR). The native gamut of the panel is wider than SDR, so that needs to be reeled in correctly. OLEDs have issues rendering lower levels due to the fine electrical control required, Panasonic and LG have come up with unique solutions to this problem. Regular, automatically performed compensation cycles are required to ensure uniformity over the long term, banding control is a function of the LUT engine, how the TV tone maps HDR content - there's a lot that goes into making a good picture.

The Skyworth pricing is attractive but I've always been an LG fan as well.

If the pricing is really that attractive over older LG OLED models, it may well be worth it - especially if the only alternatives are edge-lit LCDs or FALD LCDs from less accomplished manufacturers.

Offline arvie

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »
Wow, thanks for that, Ken.  Clearly I didn't know any of that!  Especially about solving the OLED issues.  Very interesting!

Okay, also didn't know one can disable the video processing in AVR ,learn something new everyday!   :thumbs:

Offline wesrobb

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 08:43:15 AM »
+1 thanks for all the insight Ken. My heart wants a 65 LG OLED but my wallet not so much!

Offline Juggy

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 10:03:08 AM »
Skyworth is sold in the U.S. and Europe.

They sell them in the Middle East as well. Looked at a few but they only had the lower range models.

Offline georgev

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 04:33:18 PM »
Going for 25k now at Masons.
Just got the mail today.
The skyworth
" For by Grace you have been saved through Faith..............It is the free gift of God". Ephesians 2: 8-9

Offline eDiter

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2020, 12:11:25 PM »
Has anyone actually given feedback regarding using this TV?

I'm looking for a 65" OLED and at the moment the only other option (LG C9/B9) is like double the price of the 65" S9A.

For some reason I can barely find any professional or even consumer reviews online. Makes it seem a bit fishy... Would just love to know how much I'd be sacrificing for paying half.

Offline Merlin

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2020, 03:59:40 PM »
Also interested if anyone got a Skyworth OLED and what the thoughts are on the different OLED TVs?

Prices between OLEDs:
  • LG 65C9 - R50k (Takealot)
  • LG 65B9 - R35k (Metro Home)
  • Skyworth 65S9A - R24k (Takealot)

Offline rterblanche

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2020, 10:03:07 AM »
Any more feedback on the skyworth TV's ?  Anybody bought one or could do a side by side with the LG ?

Look at it to plug in an Nvidia Shield so not sure if I need all the features of the LG but I am a big LG OLED
fan but in that cycle where I am looking at upgrading