PS3 Slim vs Sony BDP 360 blu ray player

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MxT

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I have both items and being able to compare both items over the last while on DVD playback, CD Playback and Blu ray playback my views at this stage stands as follows

Ps3 Slim 250g -R2999
Sony Bdp 360- R1699

Build quality the Ps3 is miles ahead-weight is around 3.5kg's compared to the I'm guessing 1.5 or so of the other player-the PS is also much prettier and I enjoy the loading tray that was developed to protect disks when moving the console better than the normal loading tray that we all know-since the 360's is a bit flimsy

Load times on the 360 is slightly faster on DVDs but Blu ray is pretty much on par.

Blu ray playback is believe the PS is better - cleaner crisper images overall definition is better IMHO
DVD playback the 360 is better by a slight margin as far as definition and colours go and it has a speed advantage
CD playback the Ps3 is better than the 360 with better bass, midrange is better and than on the 360 and both is a bit hard on the upper end.

Software updating(I'm not on a network) Ps3 is miles ahead as far a regularity of updates as well as easy of installation (via USB)

Remotes- I have the Blu ray remote for the Ps3- so par for the course but I don't have a line of sight issue- so I guess the PS3 is better in that if you can justify the R300 odd rand for the remote.

Overall at the new prices the PS3 is a great call for a modest hometheatre system in my view beating a well awarded entry level player.

If we take networking, streaming and the small matter of playing the odd game then it is worth considering if you are looking at a good single solution.