Author Topic: Massdrop Airist R2R dac  (Read 5412 times)

Offline GoodEnoughGear

Re: Massdrop Airist R2R dac
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2019, 09:21:14 PM »
All DACs sound the same.
Mine just sounds more the samer than yours.
Mobile: LG V60, CA Andromeda
Portable: LH Labs GO2A SE, KEF M500
Home: Soekris DAC1541, Genelec 8030+7050, HD600

Offline dingeth

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2019, 07:43:52 PM »
So having spent some quality time over the weekend (with the Airist) I can safely say that this little DAC is a no-brainer at $350. It is an exceptional little unit, being both resolving and musical, and not at the expense of detail. The pairing with the 789 is exceptional. If I had my $350 back and could rethink my decision, I'd put my money right back on the Airist. I am rediscovering my library, which is telltale sign of a great purchase. At $350 it's nothing short of 10/10 in my books.

Seems like you've found yourself a winner. How would you describe the differences between the airist and the Audio-Gd R2R seeing as they both employ similar technology?
Audio Noob

Offline Ninja_Theory

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2019, 01:00:53 AM »
Seems like you've found yourself a winner. How would you describe the differences between the airist and the Audio-Gd R2R seeing as they both employ similar technology?
Thanks yep it is certainly a winner in the sub $500 DAC category. When I had the AGD R2R, I only used it as an AIO whereas Iím using the Airist with the 789 so itís not quite an apples vs apples comparison. That said, the Airist is enticingly more revealing, leaving the impression that the AGD paints with a thicker brush than the Airist (the 789 amplifies this ofc). The AGD is a musical little AIO - and one that sucked me into this rabbit hole - but the Airist is moreso, and less subtle in the way it goes about its business, yet its smooth as silk. I use the Airist with the 789 and Little Dot 3, both of which seem to bring the best out of it.
Last known location: Somewhere in the audio enthusiast rabbit hole... not sure I'll find my way out.

Offline dingeth

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2019, 05:06:16 PM »
Thanks yep it is certainly a winner in the sub $500 DAC category. When I had the AGD R2R, I only used it as an AIO whereas Iím using the Airist with the 789 so itís not quite an apples vs apples comparison. That said, the Airist is enticingly more revealing, leaving the impression that the AGD paints with a thicker brush than the Airist (the 789 amplifies this ofc). The AGD is a musical little AIO - and one that sucked me into this rabbit hole - but the Airist is moreso, and less subtle in the way it goes about its business, yet its smooth as silk. I use the Airist with the 789 and Little Dot 3, both of which seem to bring the best out of it.

I see, thanks for the info. Been seeing a few AGD's for sale, so it's good to get impressions from someone that's owned one.
Audio Noob

Offline Ninja_Theory

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2019, 05:12:11 PM »
Pulled the trigger on the Cavelli Tube Hyrbid (CTH) amp last week. The family is growing from a Drop matched form factor 2 stack to a matched 3 stack. Will report back in due course.
Last known location: Somewhere in the audio enthusiast rabbit hole... not sure I'll find my way out.

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2019, 06:16:02 PM »
Pulled the trigger on the Cavelli Tube Hyrbid (CTH) amp last week. The family is growing from a Drop matched form factor 2 stack to a matched 3 stack. Will report back in due course.

Drop Fanboy in the house!!
What's a Cavelli though...?  :thinking:

Offline Ninja_Theory

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2019, 01:55:34 PM »
Drop Fanboy in the house!!
What's a Cavelli though...?  :thinking:
Typo sorry. But yeah it seems so. It was never my intention to be a Drop fanboy but there's something magical about the eye candy aspect of a perfectly matched form factor stack. Next up will be the Cavalli Liquid Carbon X.