Caveman Ribs

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User121314

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Inspired by a video [member=456]vleisman[/member] sent to me about a crazy American restaurant with supersize ribs I decided to go on a hunt for the local equivalent.

Enter Country Meat in Lonehill with what they call "Caveman Ribs".

These are Short/Back Ribs, but cut from the section that comes directly off the spine, each measuring about 30cm long.

IMG-1370.jpg

Collected on Friday, dry brine them overnight. Mustard slather with salt, pepper & some paprika Saturday morning, left in fridge until about 13h00.

IMG-1420.jpg

Casserole dish prepped with onion & garlic - used onion as a base to rest the meat on so the meat doesn't catch.

IMG-1421.jpg

Sear in a skillet.

IMG-1422.jpg

IMG-1423.jpg

Place fat side down in casserole dish, cover & place on braai. I was going to do them in the Weber, but couldn't find the inner bits 'n bobs for the Weber, so just did them on open fire with coals banked to each side & the front. Added coals throughout the afternoon, turned casserole dish 180 degrees every 3 or 4 beers (roughly: every hour).

IMG-1424.jpg

At about 6 I took them off, added to & spread the coals out to cook chicken for those that don't eat meat, then also placed the ribs on the open fire to give them a little extra flavour.

IMG-1435.jpg

They were practically falling off the bone & had shrunk by about 30%!

IMG-1436.jpg

The literally peeled off the bone, removed the substantial amounts of fat & served!

IMG-1437.jpg

Nothing left:

IMG-1439.jpg

Whilst it was a fun experiment the lengthy cooking period was harsh on the liver and the end result was a very rich & heavy meal. We will be having left-overs for a day or two.

I don't think we'll do this a second time, will stick to traditional style beef short ribs as "teasers" when we braai.

Latest posts