Author Topic: Adding passive sub to Kenwood amp  (Read 376 times)

Offline gnilrac

Adding passive sub to Kenwood amp
« on: November 07, 2019, 07:41:33 PM »
Hi guys,I need some advice please.
I have a Kenwood krf -x9080d amp.
Only using it for stereo music.
There's only a line out for an active sub.
I have a passive sub.
Any ideas how I can hook it up.?
Current setup is only two mids and tweeters connected to front left and right in cd mode,but I would love to add my passive pioneer 12inch sub.
I don't have an external amp to drive the sub and it would be ideal to loop it into existing system.

Offline Carnajo

Re: Adding passive sub to Kenwood amp
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 04:05:49 PM »
I think I saw some subwoofer amps for sale just recently here (maybe yesterday?). Was a pair if I recall. Can't find the link right now.

EDIT: found the link https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,82945.0.html

Didn't pay much attention to it but I see now it is a DIY module. I can barely install a banana plug so wouldn't know what to do with it but perhaps it could work for your needs.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 04:11:47 PM by Carnajo »

Online El Sid

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 11:50:33 AM »
That amp has a whole lot of speaker outputs. If you are using only two for stereo (presumably front L & R), then see if you can configure one of the other speaker outputs as bass only and connect the passive sub to that?

Online El Sid

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 03:14:52 PM »
...and even if it can't, configure it as "large" so the bass isn't being cut off and it will play the frequencies it can? (Subject to confirmation by someone who actually knows what they're talking about when it comes to AVRs)

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 04:05:02 PM »
...and even if it can't, configure it as "large" so the bass isn't being cut off and it will play the frequencies it can? (Subject to confirmation by someone who actually knows what they're talking about when it comes to AVRs)

I can't speak for that AVR specifically but I'd be hesitant to try drive a sub using an AVRs speaker outs because often an AVR's power output is often very liberally stated and is not typically "all-channels-driven" so it might struggle to run a set of speakers and a sub simultaneously and continuously. If it is for movies they often contain an actual LFE channel so you might not even get the x.1 if you hook the sub up to the speaker outs (in other words to get the low frequency you need to use the subwoofer out).

Offline RaWKiS_CT

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 08:11:18 AM »
you also have no control over cross over setting the speakers to large so integrating the sub with your fronts would be impossible. Also agree trying to run the sub off the AVR amp is a bad idea.