Hifi Expo and SA

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimGore

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi all.

Did anybody visit the HiFi expo in Randburg a couple of weeks ago?

The reason I am asking is because I heard something very interesting there - Sonor Audio speakers.  They are made in South-Africa, and I must say that I was very impressed by the sound coming from these speakers, especially for the price.  Interesting also, was that the Sonor Audio listening room was by far more packed than the B&W 800 Diamond listening room.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the nice people at Sonor Audio have updated their website to show their new line of speakers, so there isn't really any info to look at.

Another thing I saw (heard) that was shockingly good (for the price) was the 15" Andromeda sub-woofer from another SA company called "SDA Accoustics".  These guys even went as far as custom designing the 15" driver used in this sub.  They had the driver on display - the thing is a MONSTER.  Weighs 32Kg, and has 3" excursion, and FS of 22Hz.  Never mind all of this, I was listening to it with music, and it just sounds incredible.  Cannot imagine what it would do in a HT setup.  Unfortunately the thing is HUGE.

Living in a country classified as "3rd world", we always assume that imported and expensive equipment is much better than anything local, so I was pleasantly surprised at some of the home-grown products on show.  The other thing that makes these brands so great is the bang for buck ratio.  Most of the SA manufacturers don't even have a shop-front.  They don't advertise so much, so unfortunately they aren't well known (I have taken it upon myself to plug them - and no, I don't know these people). They don't have resellers or import duties that push up the price, and have very few overheads.

My personal opinion is that we have some serious equipment coming from our own backyards, and perhaps we (as a hi-fi community) should pay more attention to our own guys and keep them in business.

Perhaps HiFi is driven too much by "Brands names".  I have a Krell amp, but if I can find a SA amp that sounds as good (or better) as the Krell for half the price which is manufactured in SA, then I say F*** the Krell.

If you are interested in going for a demo of Sonor Audio or SDA Accoustics products, call them on the following numbers:

Sonor Audio: 011 453-9034
SDA Accoustics:  082 829 7107 or 082 573 8003

Please feel free to comment.   :wink:

Regards,
Jim

Latest posts