Author Topic: Water purification system for household  (Read 2856 times)

Offline mygoggie

Re: Water purification system for household
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 10:19:06 AM »
The anti-vibration mounts arrived this morning. Now I need to turn (or find) spacers to take up the distance between the top of the mount and the underside of the channel mounting plate. I have a few ideas such of source materials to look at. I think I will stick to nylon, rubber or polyurethane. More later ...

Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2019, 02:13:12 PM »
Is there someone that can give me some direction as to what is quality in terms of stickers to be made for identifying the pipes flows, control valve functions, pump IDs and in addition the electrical control panel's legally required labels? I really do not want to have something made that shrinks, fade or delaminate. I know nothing about labels, so solid advice will be appreciated.

Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 09:35:29 PM »
I received the pump controller unit which Victor was so kind to send to me. Now I can test it and if it works as intended, I can complete the controller board design and finally get to assembling it.

Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 09:43:01 PM »
The anti-vibration mounts arrived this morning. Now I need to turn (or find) spacers to take up the distance between the top of the mount and the underside of the channel mounting plate. I have a few ideas such of source materials to look at. I think I will stick to nylon, rubber or polyurethane. More later ...

I bought four flexible PVC door stops today and they are a perfect fit. I drilled the hole a bit larger and presto ...

Obviously the proof will be in eating the pudding, so I will install this sometime in the remainder of this week and see how the load is handled.
Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2019, 09:28:36 PM »
I spent the day completing the external fibreglass work on the slow sand filter. This was one of those jobs where I spent 10 hours working and when you stand back you cannot believe that is all you have done.

Tomorrow I will paint the new fibreglass work and then I can move the filter into its final location. Once upright and correctly positioned I can start installing the external strengthening ribs to support the polycarb window and the new inside dividing panels.

Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 04:26:58 PM »
All painted and ready for the move.

The pad ready for the filter tank.

Herman

Online Vince MacMahon

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 04:47:55 PM »
Coming along nice - its definitely not a job not for sissies!

Marantz - Bowers & Wilkins - AudioQuest
In all 3 Set-ups

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 09:07:32 PM »
As you say @Vince MacMahon it does take a lot of planning and a strong will not to rush things. I do however enjoy the project and I really hope others can learn something from my efforts.

My two mates arrived each with a beer in hand and after about 20 minutes the filter was in place. It was a bit of heavy lifting, but they really are very practical no nonsense guys of few words but with a lot of backbone.

With the purification skid, greywater wetland and slow sand filter all in final locations.

Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 09:28:21 PM »
I had a question as to why I am doing this project. In short the following was my answer. You can also revert to my very first post for more detail.

I am designing a closed loop water system for a household. In other words, all the water that is collected on the erf from rainwater, well point and condensation harvesting is stored in various tanks, then purified using a slow sand filter and finally supplied to the household at pressure and meeting WHO potable water standards.

Then after the water is used in the house, the greywater is collected, purified and used for irrigation purposes. The blackwater will be collected in a biogas reactor where it will turn into fertiliser for the garden and gas to cook with.

Just my way of giving back some knowledge and skills and hope that someone will learn something and see that even a household can use nature to optimise water usage.
Herman

Offline AdrianPowrie

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 09:39:38 PM »
Hi Herman

Really loving this thread and all you have shared so far.

Just a small question if you don't mind?

What is the total SQ meterage of real estate you have allocated for this project?
Excluding all the meters of pipe needed for the collection of grey water etc.

Kind regards
Adrian Powrie
'"I distrust camels and anyone else who can go a week without a drink...." ~ Rols

"The key to productivity is a sombrero, no pants, and 3 bottles of tequila." ~ Hector Elliot

Alberton/Jozi

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2019, 10:37:59 PM »
Hi Herman

Really loving this thread and all you have shared so far.

Just a small question if you don't mind?

What is the total SQ meterage of real estate you have allocated for this project?
Excluding all the meters of pipe needed for the collection of grey water etc.

Kind regards
Adrian Powrie

@AdrianPowrie I do not mind answering at all.

When I set out doing this project it was actually 25 years ago when I designed my house with the very kind assistance of my friend who is an architect. At that time recycling and going green was unheard of and I had to convince him to steer away from his normal in designing the house layout. Two very important things I insisted on and that was that the house's plumbing all had to exit the house in one location and secondly that all roofs should face NE, N and NW for optimum solar collection.

So the house was designed and built with those two criteria from me. SWAMBO's list obviously was a LOT longer and he managed to incorporate that as well. He actually designed the house around her baby grand piano and not my green requirements!

When I designed the reservoir locations I was severely limited in my real estate space and I realised that most people will find themselves in the same position. I presume you are onboard here as you asked the question. So I set out to install a large 15kl tank underground with a room to be constructed on top of it to save space. The other two 5kl tanks I could fit into the "empty" space along the erf boundary. The rest of the equipment to all to fit in between the two tank locations.

At this moment the wetland + settling tanks and pump, slow sand filter, water purification skid, the two 5kl tanks, the well point and the future underground biogas reactor will all in the end fit into an area of 10m long by 7m wide. The condensation harvesting system I will fit at the border of this space as it is only pipes about 500mm wide and about 10m in length and can run with the currently installed irrigation pipes.. The underground tank I will not count as the slab for the tank forms the floor of a habitable room.

To summarise your answer I will split it into two options.

• You can juggle the layout a bit and locate the skid in an equipment room where you can also fit your solar and other energy equipment. However with the 25kl of water storage a normal household requires and for ALL the systems, I would recommend you allow about 8m wide x 10m long in total.
  • If you do not install all the systems but only do greywater and rainwater harvesting system will require 7m x 3m for the greywater wetland, 1,3m x 1m for the water purification skid and then your tank footprints. The slow sandfilter can be replaced by a more expensive membrane filter that fits in the skid.

I hope this provide some detail on your question.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:46:12 PM by mygoggie »
Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2019, 11:04:47 PM »
Speaking about piping in the above posts, here are some details about the pipes I had to install.

Basically there are:
  • Interconnecting pipes to cross-feed water from the tanks and sand filter.
  • Sleeves for electrical power to the pump in the underground tank.
  • Sleeves for cabling for the data from the level sensors in the underground tank and slow sand filter.

The first draft was sketched out as you can see in the following two images.

The overall layout

and the pipework from the skid to the underground tank and slow sand filter

Here are the actual piping installed, finally leveled and positioned.

Before and after pictures of the pipes to the slow sand filter and underground tank. I could not get to the legally required 450mm soil cover for the pipes and therefore installed warning plastic in case someone decided to make a veggie garden in this area.... wonder who asked me that question today ....?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:08:31 PM by mygoggie »
Herman

Offline Taeke

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 10:12:47 AM »
Very nice set up you doing !  :thumbs: I stay on a farm so i am responsible for my own water. I do have a "nice" system that works for me , the problem i for see is that the day when something happens to me my wife will not know what to do.... :teach:  :RTFM:. I hope you have got a nice manual or some instructing sheet if you either sell your property or want some one else to operate it for you?? :thinking:

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 10:31:03 AM »
Very nice set up you doing !  :thumbs: I stay on a farm so i am responsible for my own water. I do have a "nice" system that works for me , the problem i for see is that the day when something happens to me my wife will not know what to do.... :teach:  :RTFM:. I hope you have got a nice manual or some instructing sheet if you either sell your property or want some one else to operate it for you?? :thinking:

Good for you @Taeke  :dop:

I do not know if you are aware but it is a legal requirement that any water supply system must have an instruction and operator's manual. So best start writing yours!
Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2019, 10:37:39 AM »
I got up early this morning to install the drainage pipes. We are expecting some rain and I do not want to start using bailing as the only option of emptying the slow sand filter! Had enough of that on the yacht ...

Here are the two future filter chamber's drainage pipes installed.

The future emergency overflow of the buffer tank and one of the two filter chamber drainage pipes. All drainage to discharge in the wetland from where it can be used for irrigation purposes.

This is the layout I am aiming for. I will make a few changes as I assemble as the theory never meets the practical side 100%.

Herman