Author Topic: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project  (Read 19777 times)

Offline mygoggie

Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project
« Reply #345 on: January 17, 2021, 10:04:02 PM »
I'm quietly hoping you're going to start building a tone arm with that lathe , other tools and skills once it's going . Then a platter and bearing . Go Herman go !

That is the idea @fredeb. Here is a thread I started way back before the lathe switch broke ....  :giggle:

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=24541.0
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #346 on: January 19, 2021, 08:48:05 PM »
I cannot show a lot for the work I have done on the lathe.

Brain and myself have been working on the electrical design. Not a lot to show for it at the moment as everything is still done in Brain's world.

I got replacement machine screws for the missing sample.

I installed the missing one and promptly broke the bakelite side of the hole.  :facepalm:

Turns out there was a edge ride on the hole and the screw put some lateral pressure on the sidewall.

I applied some superglue to all the surfaces and allowed it to be sucked into the bakelite for a few hours. Then I applied a new coating of superglue and fitted the broken piece into place.  Fitted washers to all eight screws and mounted the contactors for the final time.

Brain is still tinkering away at building a wiring model ...  :coffee:
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #347 on: January 19, 2021, 08:55:40 PM »
I contacted BMG yesterday to obtain a quotation for Nu-T link belting to replace the V-belts of this lathe.

The existing two V-belts are of size 13x8x1940 as stated almost right at the beginning of this thread.

The quotation states I will require 4m of "NU T LINK A - A/13 - FENNER DRIVES" belting and the cost is as expected about half an arm. But, as explained, the other option is to buy a matched set of V-belts which will also cost a bit.

Me thinks me will safe up and get the Nu-T link belting.

:angel:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 09:02:53 PM by mygoggie »
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #348 on: January 19, 2021, 08:59:26 PM »
Another tidbit of information is that @SinWolf received his package!

The replacement cross-slide screw keep I sent him is a perfect fit!  :2thumbs:

I am really glad that he is now sorted! Now just get the VFD connected and start making chips!!  :rubhands:
Herman

mygoggie's perfecture
My wishlist