Author Topic: tool search / wire-stripper  (Read 2079 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+142)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
Re: tool search / wire-stripper
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 08:15:35 AM »
These should do at a pinch, if side-cutters are not available

(I have been using side cutters for 35 years in my job to cut and trim all types of wire - it all depends what you get used to)

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 08:55:43 AM »
(I have been using side cutters for 35 years in my job to cut and trim all types of wire - it all depends what you get used to)

(Don't tell anybody, but me too - I have a special set I sharpened - recently got these - https://www.banggood.com/LAOA-Japan-Type-Cr-V-Plastic-Pliers-Nippers-Jewelry-Electrical-Wire-Cable-Cutters-Cutting-Side-Snips-p-1226674.html?rmmds=search&ID=516919&cur_warehouse=CN)

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 06:44:28 PM »
I have several of these on my bench. Works great when building amps

https://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=82M0607

I have a similar item, but I can't seem to get good results. The screw/nut seems to come loose...

Perhaps I am not using it correctly?

Offline GECO

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 06:54:59 PM »
I hardly ever use the guide. I set it to just before it completely closes for the finest of wire. The rest of the time i work on feel

Offline Schalk

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2019, 09:23:43 PM »
I have a similar item, but I can't seem to get good results. The screw/nut seems to come loose...

Perhaps I am not using it correctly?

I too use these extensively, works best for me especially on the teflon sheathed wire I mostly fit. Only diference being mine has YELLOW handles  :tongue:
You and I think much the same Rudi! Gavin, junk the stock screw that it comes with and fit a proper M4 Alan cap screw with a lock washer. Figure out your most popular size wire and lock it with that, really tight. Like Rudi says and same here, set it mostly for the thinnest gauge and "feel" the larger gauges. Of course I've been stripping (wire of course  :-[) for 50 years so it comes natural. If you need to have a preset size per wire, well these are dirt cheap and you'll probably not be using more than 3 wire gauges anyway. Splash out and buy some more, you can afford it  :thumbs:

Also the method Guillaume goes about is another favorite of mine as well, I just use a plain single blade without the handle. You eventually get used to bleeding all over an amp ...

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 06:51:35 AM »
I use one of those as well, while also making good use of this one (but with BLUE handles) that I bought for the princely sum of around R10 w-a-a-a-y back in the late 60s. Still going strong.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Nchebe

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 08:39:02 AM »
I also use side cutters, but the flush cutting type.  The secret is to have the flush side facing the piece you want to strip.  Never had an issue, even with PTFE insulation...

Offline MusicMan_ZA

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 07:39:37 PM »
I have several of these on my bench. Works great when building amps

https://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=82M0607

Same here. Mine is yellow.  :thumbs:
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline DRNB

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2019, 10:32:19 AM »
I also got three.

This is terrible IMO

I also like this a lot.  :2thumbs: But do have some drawbacks.

I like to use this one allot:

I've tried this, but don't really come right.

One that have found that works really nice when I was a mechanic was this one:

In places where the one in the first picture don't work, I use a side cutter, so Chrisc was not wrong.
As a matter of fact, if you know how, a cutter is the quickest and as clean as any of the other tools. Also much better adjusting to precise thickness. I would however invest in something really good, not the Dixon.
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Online chrisflex

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2019, 06:45:43 AM »

R3000 to R4000

But then it is the best

10 years after mine got stolen I can't get myself to replace it.

Even as I do Electrical / Instrumentation work for  a living.

this is a great tool too

https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-strippers/4258843/

R1800

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 06:55:57 AM by chrisflex »
There’s no such thing as the past, it exists only in the memory. There’s no such thing as the future, it exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate the only thing they would ever say is now.”
― Damien Echols, Life After Death