Author Topic: High-end full range loudspeaker: Cube  (Read 894 times)

Offline Jozua_2019

• The Great Gatsby
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • ARC4LIFE
High-end full range loudspeaker: Cube
« on: October 18, 2019, 09:52:58 AM »
I accidentally stumbled across these drivers on YouTube.

The design and build looks stunning- sadly the pricing is in the super high-end. 

The big question is how much better are they compared to the typical FR drivers we are used to?  Maybe  a forum member can comment?

https://www.cubeaudio.eu/

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+142)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
Re: High-end full range loudspeaker: Cube
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 01:19:51 PM »
Didn't Tannoy use that dual-concentric approach in the 1960s?

Pricey they may be, but I personally did not like the design with the visible screws.   Can't see this being recommended for the up-market buyer these are aimed at.

For that price you can get one of the new Devialet Phantom Reactor speakers, with a much smaller footprint

But that is just me

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline DRNB

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 01:34:50 PM »
High-end full range loudspeaker................ Is that what would be called an oxymoron?  :sh1tstirrer: :flame:
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline Jozua_2019

• The Great Gatsby
  • AVForums Member
  • ARC4LIFE
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 01:40:10 PM »
The drivers have exceptional specs for full range !

As low as 30Hz (1) and a nearly a ruler flat FR.

What appeals to me is the HE and the fact that they operate without a crossover.

I have been promised an audition by the SA agent.

Offline Nchebe

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 01:46:20 PM »
Interesting spider design on the drivers...

Offline Jozua_2019

• The Great Gatsby
  • AVForums Member
  • ARC4LIFE
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 02:05:20 PM »
Interesting their claims about the impact of the spider design on the driver speed.

Interesting spider design on the drivers...

Offline juventino

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 02:43:34 PM »
reminds me of the Fostex drivers (the front that is)
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline achim

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 04:32:07 PM »
...or those japanese corals who sadly disappeared long time ago....

You find quite a number of those drivers and speaker brands. Some are toxic in their pricing and often not really good (forgot the brand name of this Berlin based company - absolutely mad and bad for the money they asking for)

Süsskind by Joachim Gerhard is an expensive option as well... but the Puls Deluxe is an amazing speaker...and yes there are some....

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Offline Winslow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Audiophiles can be so egregiously sesquipedalian.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 06:16:00 PM »
Voxitv Berlin is the company, their prices are absolutely insane.
"Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to your music.
Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment."

Allan Parsons

Offline Katji

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 06:36:56 PM »
[...]
What appeals to me is the HE and the fact that they operate without a crossover.
Check the links in Nidri's ad - Omega.

Offline achim

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 10:08:29 PM »
@Winslow....... VOXACTIV Yes...... some magazines been raving about them....I went 3 times in 3 years into their demos during the High End Show.... nope.....not my cup of tea

Crossoverless? Ohhhh it reminds me about my Soltanus ESLs ...worldwide first x over less ESLs ...something very special indeed....

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Online Nidri

Whilst Nidri takes reasonable care to ensure that the information in this message is correct and up to date, this might not always be the case. Nidri does not give any warranties as to the accuracy and safety of any information appearing in this message.

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 10:00:46 AM »
High-end full range loudspeaker................ Is that what would be called an oxymoron?  :sh1tstirrer: :flame:
I like your style...

I guess there is a lot less that you can screw up if you only have one driver and one enclosure... Crossovers are difficult to do well, and even then there are lots of compromises.

As for the speakers, the design is pretty meh to me. A tilted white/black box - not going to win any awards from me? The strong focus on marketing also does not inspire much confidence, but judging a speaker without listening to it? They do seem to get a lot of raving reviews.

The driver design is very interesting, almost looks like something you could make in your workshop. (No castings - looks like a prototype.) The magnet design seems to work really well - judging by the numbers.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 10:23:15 AM »
With the ability to assemble motors without a ginormous magnetiser, FEM magnetic design software and FEM cone modeling software on desktop or desk-side super computers there have been a couple of boutique FR manufacturers popping up. In common: hyper-active social media marketing campaigns. If it appeals to a market let them have at it, but please don't set it up next to something like a good old K&H (now sennheiser) monitor...you might just trigger something.

I still think the Jordan JX92 schools most of these where it really matters. If you want it loud, bi-amp.

Offline christempler

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 07:31:47 PM »
Mention Ted Jordan and the Goodmans Axiom 80 springs to mind. They have neither spiders or surrounds, the response is from 20 Hz to 20kHz and very realistic sound.
Fertin Acoustics   fertinacoustics.com  make no bones about having taken inspiration from the Axiom.
I run a pair in rear loaded horns and despite their size the manage to fill a room of 64 sq m easily. All 6 Watts of them.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russel