Audio and Video Talk > Computers & Networking

Building my own NAS and BT Box

(1/5) > >>

Enigma_2k4:
Hi all,

I have one of these lying around at home:
http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/product_info.php?cPath=50_51&products_id=39991

Now I am considering building myself a little NAS box with a BT client using it.

1. What's the best way to go about it?
2. What size mobo fits in this little monster?
3. I have an old AMD Athlon 300+ CPU, any chance I could use that to reduce costs? However, offhand I think a atom machine would be best.
4. What linux OS could/should I use?
5. How do I make it really power efficeint?
6. How can I make it shut down the HDD's when not in use (I'd boot into the OS off a flash)

I do know that the cheapest and probably smartest option is to just get one of these:
8 bay RAID NAS for 3k

neilh:
I've been looking around for a while now, so far the Synology stuff looks awesome but with an awesome price toboot. 3,5k for the 2 bay and 6k for the 4 bay unit. Natively does uPnP and DLNA and can be used with newsgroup/SABnzbd/SickBeard

Enigma_2k4:

--- Quote from: neilh on February 25, 2011, 10:43:50 AM ---I've been looking around for a while now, so far the Synology stuff looks awesome but with an awesome price toboot. 3,5k for the 2 bay and 6k for the 4 bay unit. Natively does uPnP and DLNA and can be used with newsgroup/SABnzbd/SickBeard

--- End quote ---

Oooooh!
/drool

That is awesome, but dam pricey! Surely there must be linux based OS's around that can do that natively.

Offhand I reckon I'd need:
Atom board + CPU - R600
SATA expansion board (4 additional bays + raid 0/1/0+1) - R400
16GB flash - R200 or 16G SSD - R400
Wireless Dongle??? Research needed....

I already have the HDD's...

Would love to have something with FTP so I could access it from work / my phone. Would even cooler still if I could addess the BT / newsgroup client to add/pause DL's... That would be so neat to access from my phone!

GearSlave:
When I started off I used Freenas. It really is pretty cool and offers everything you could possibly need in a NAS box, including booting off a flash drive by default. The problem is that they always seem a generation behind on what FreeBSD is doing, so I ran into hardware compatibility issue that just drove me totally nuts. I ended up going to Ubuntu server (real men don't need no stinkin' GUI) and this really took the performance of the box to excellent levels. I'm running softRAID on my 4 * 2TB disks, I've got 2GB ram (no need though) and a celeron CPU with a 35W TDP that sits idle most of the time. It also runs off a dedicated ups that is monitored by the NAS so will safely shutdown when the Mains fails. When idle the box draws very little power so it stays on all the time.

Enigma_2k4:
Wow, sounds excellent! So you have something like this board from intel

Slap on a small celeron, boof off flask and viola!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version