Author Topic: Importance of Speaker Spikes  (Read 640 times)

Offline DKNY

Importance of Speaker Spikes
« on: October 12, 2019, 08:53:54 PM »
Good article that explains the role of speaker spikes.

http://www.uhfmag.com/Issue61/Superspikes.html

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+142)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
Re: Importance of Speaker Spikes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 08:30:27 AM »
Clever invention

My friends who have hardwood floors have put a copper coin under the spike.  The mass of the speaker ensures that the coin does not move.  One fellow "prepared" the coin by tapping a small indentation in the centre of the coin with a punch
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Kemosabe

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 11:16:40 AM »
Indeed spike protection is a must on uncarpeted floors. I've become a terrible hater of all things spikey though. Once your speakers pass the 120kg per speaker mark nothing beats wheels  :2thumbs:
DIY hi-fi: the journey is the destination.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+48)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Importance of Speaker Spikes
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 12:10:52 PM »
Spike protectors coins or the proper dimpled discs do the job but are a nuisance setting up.  Also, by whatever means the spikes often get bumped off the discs (cleaning / kids playing / real life) and then damage is still caused.  Superspikes from Soundcare are the smart and unsurpassed way imo. 
I have been overwhelmed by the response to the few I was advertising so will continue my discussions with them.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 12:13:03 PM by Hi-Phibian »
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline achim

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 03:33:30 PM »
..... I m not a believer in spikes...and I avoid them as a vampire avoids garlic or daylight

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 04:55:07 PM »
Neighbour has a precision machine shop and has fabricated recessed "spike holders" from aluminium.  With this lathe, you insert an aluminium bar and this machine creates these discs with flat one side and a concave dish the other

The size depends on the thickness of bar.  He happened to have some 12mm aluminium solid bar when we were playing with it.  You choose the shape of the dished section on the display, the quantity and tap "process" and they fall into a box, ready made.

I suppose you call it a CNC machine

Offline Katji

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 05:23:07 PM »
..... I m not a believer in spikes...and I avoid them as a vampire avoids garlic or daylight
:)  Isn't there something about silver spikes to kill vampires?  :)

Offline achim

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 05:47:04 PM »
Only the noise of Modern Talking can kill me..... I m a modern Vampire..... silver wont make it.... :)

I think Spikes in most cases and Bi & Tri Wire Terminals on cheap and medium priced speakers are often contra-productive

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Offline hope

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 08:00:41 AM »
Only the noise of Modern Talking can kill me..... I m a modern Vampire..... silver wont make it.... :)

I think Spikes in most cases and Bi & Tri Wire Terminals on cheap and medium priced speakers are often contra-productive
Ditto

Offline Rotelman

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 03:09:31 PM »

Why would spikes have a different effect on cheap or medium priced speaker than on a high end one?

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 04:02:44 PM »
I'd imagine that a high-end speaker would have sufficient mass to allow gravity to seat the speaker to the floor, and not transmit any vibrations

A lighter enclose will need the spikes to essentially do the same thing, to isolate the speaker from the floor

Offline Rotelman

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 04:48:19 PM »
If the aim is not to transmit vibrations to the floor, surely isolation or at least damping is more desirable than coupling via rigid spikes needing to transmit a load to the floor in a small concentrated area?

I think spikes could assist on certain surfaces like carpets, but I would've thought there's better isolation options on hard floors than spikes.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 04:56:11 PM »
If the speaker is lightly built, and during a bass passage when the cone moves forward, there will be a tendency for the entire enclosure to move backwards (or vice-versa)

Speakers designed for use on stage have substantial rubber feet to prevent this very thing

Offline Katji

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 05:43:28 PM »
If the aim is not to transmit vibrations to the floor, surely isolation or at least damping is more desirable than coupling via rigid spikes needing to transmit a load to the floor in a small concentrated area?

I think spikes could assist on certain surfaces like carpets, but I would've thought there's better isolation options on hard floors than spikes.
Coupling/isolation, confusion reigns.

Offline Rotelman

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 07:30:39 PM »
If the speaker is lightly built, and during a bass passage when the cone moves forward, there will be a tendency for the entire enclosure to move backwards (or vice-versa)

Speakers designed for use on stage have substantial rubber feet to prevent this very thing

Yes, I observed these oscillations in the x axis of an accelerometer placed on a cabinet whilst the drivers were pumping >100db.  The rubber feet to isolate and damp whilst providing a larger friction area makes sense. Spikes on hard surfaces don't.