Author Topic: Owl identification  (Read 472 times)

Offline zer0

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
Owl identification
« on: October 09, 2019, 11:30:49 AM »
Can anyone help identify this owl.
Last night I was sitting outside with my family and this guy/girl sat about 3 meters from us. We drank coffee and chatted but the owl was definitely not scared.
My concern is that it will attack one of my dogs. They're yorkie x maltese and weigh around 3kg. The owl isn't small at all, I'd say 40cm in height.
I really don't want to hurt it, but it's a bird of prey after all, and I'd rather sacrifice an owl than one of my dogs.

Offline ScottulusMaximus

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+60)
Re: Owl identification
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 11:39:14 AM »
It's not going after your stoep kakkers, don't worry about it. And be nice to it! They're endangered.
Importing made easy!

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 12:08:06 PM »
Pic lacks clarity, but maybe reach out to Owl Rescue Centre & see if they can help.

http://www.owlrescuecentre.org.za/

As Scott says - leave it in peace, it poses no threat to your pets.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Online santoshlv426

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 12:49:24 PM »
Definitely don't harm it.
Bird's of Prey in general are endangered

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 12:55:50 PM »
Unless you're keeping newborn puppies of a small species outside, you have no reason for concern (my MIL is a dog breeder and has extensive experience, owls are not your primary concern). I would love to have an owl in my yard.

Offline vleisman

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 12:57:57 PM »
Eagle owl makes a soft HOO-HOO call, Barn owl more of a screech. I love owls, we sometimes get Eagle owls in our tree, but have never managed to see one.

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • Travelogue.tv
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »
My trained field guide girlfriend took one look and said "giant eagle owl". If not it's a spotted eagle owl.

Offline zer0

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 02:00:05 PM »
Thanks for all the comments :dop:
Last thing I want to do is harm it so I'm glad to know it's not a threat.
I was really excited when I saw it last night so I hope it'll visit often.

Btw, my daughter jokingly said it's bringing her Hogwarts letter.

Offline 1200GXman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 02:36:43 PM »
Saw on 2 separate occasions owls in real life very close up. Standing a couple of meters away from the tree that they were sitting in. I was totally shocked and really jaw dropping at the silence these creatures have when flying. They were also quite big at the 40cm height and taking off from the trees where they were sitting (as mentioned it was two separate occasions and 2 different owls) it was dead dead silence. You just see wings flapping but absolute silence. Nature is a wonderful thing.
Sansui AU-101, Sansui AU3900, Rotel RA935BX, Pioneer SA-6500 Mkii, Marantz PM53, DIY kit amplifier

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »
The N17 from Springs to Leandra used to have plenty owls feasting on road kill and/or doing whatever owls do on main roads during the night.

I remember seeing a number of signs warning of owls on the road. When I used to go up there by bike it was always in the back of my mind. hit an owl & the bike (and you) can take same serious damage.

Having hit a mossie at 200+ and destroyed both radiator & oil cooler & then being stranded whilst waiting for a trailer I was worried what a bird 10 times the size would do.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Online Mongoose

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 07:02:19 PM »
It's not going after your stoep kakkers, don't worry about it. And be nice to it! They're endangered.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Offline Des Miles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 07:11:28 PM »

Trompies67,your story about hitting the bird on a bike reminds me of an incident that happened  quite a few years back when I was still stationed at Maritime receiving station in PE. There is a long steep tarred access road leading to the station, one side of which was flanked by a long row of pine trees. One night one of the operating staff was sending it up this road on his 1100 Susie. About half way up the road he hit an owl that must have been flying across!
The owl hit him on the chest and on impact the owl literally shat itself ! The poor guy's cloths and bike was covered in owl shyte. The stench was unbelievable! When he got to the station he ran straight for the showers in the rest room and stood under a shower, clothes and all for a good 20 minutes. Could have been worse, could have come off the bike.  :giggle:
I saw Sputnik, well... actually the booster rocket that went into orbit with it!!

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 09:21:27 PM »
Used to often see a huge white owl of some sort when walking home late at night in Bulawayo, it was always perched on the same road sign and would deign to listen to my drunken babbling and even tolerated my taking a photo once or twice (never worked as it was film SLR and turned off the flash to not worry it so a blurred mass on a blurred road sign was all I ever got). Beautiful creatures
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline kenvanraas

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 10:07:05 PM »
Chilling with a friend @ Algulhas (No - i did not braai him  :nono:)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:10:04 PM by kenvanraas »

Online Swindlehurstguy

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Portapussy
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 04:01:38 PM »
Beautiful beautiful creatures, envy those who have them around their homes, make quick work of rats and vermin, still waiting to the day I see one snag someone selling brooms...you know the guys that press the buzzer all day! Lol