Author Topic: Media Box Differences  (Read 763 times)

Offline Dolby

Re: Media Box Differences
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 05:14:22 PM »
Anything for Minix Neo U1?

I want to add a few others ... I can get from specs and reviews , but I need owners to help with some things I may not be able to pick up. So, for example, the apps.

But issue with Minix is going to be software and certifications. According the below, a very old Android version and no Netflix ? If you get Netflix, certainly won't be the TV version with UHD. Also seems to have no DSTV Now?

So an old OS combined with no Netflix or DSTV, is a killer

https://www.takealot.com/minix-neo-u1-quad-core-64-bit-media-player/PLID44077168

« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:17:30 PM by Dolby »

Offline Dolby

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 05:16:31 PM »
Might also want to clear up the "Atmos" tab, either change it to simply "Dolby Atmos" and include the Apple TV or stipulate that it supports Atmos via PCM (Dolby MAT).

And that's where it all can become complex ;)

On the Shield, the big thing is passthrough ... so a Dolby Atmos track played via Kodi or Plex.

What will the Apple do in that case ?

nVidea website : Dolby Atmos (pass-through) and DTS-X surround sound (pass-through) over HDMI

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 05:41:07 PM »
Also seems to have no DSTV Now?

How does this work? Is it the OS version that's too old?

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 06:15:36 PM »
And that's where it all can become complex ;)

On the Shield, the big thing is passthrough ... so a Dolby Atmos track played via Kodi or Plex.

What will the Apple do in that case ?

nVidea website : Dolby Atmos (pass-through) and DTS-X surround sound (pass-through) over HDMI

Those aren't apps I have any use for - I'm assuming the function is only relevant for illegal applications? In general I think an Android based system would be better for that sort of consumer, I can't see Apple ever making concessions for such activity.

Offline Dolby

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 07:37:08 PM »
How does this work? Is it the OS version that's too old?

I'm reading from that link - but yes, that would be the reason. It'll have to do with Android mobile not having Google Certification (which DSTV Now needs) ... and that OS is 4 years old

Offline Dolby

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 07:42:15 PM »
I can't see Apple ever making concessions for such activity.

Of course not - that would give the end user an option ;)  and Apple have never been fan of options

Anyway - I see your point ... I should have Netflix Dolby Atmos and Dolby Atmos Pass-Through as two separate points. Apple does the former (but not the latter) and the Shield does the latter (but not former).

Something along those lines?

For what it's worth, I don't use those apps either - not for piracy or legit content. But as they punt it, pass-through is quite requested feature.

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 05:13:01 AM »
Anyway - I see your point ... I should have Netflix Dolby Atmos and Dolby Atmos Pass-Through as two separate points. Apple does the former (but not the latter) and the Shield does the latter (but not former).

That sounds about right, although Dolby MAT (PCM) is more accurate since Atmos is generally supported - it's not exclusive to Netflix.

Online DACMan1

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 11:17:42 AM »

nVidia shield tv has a pro version with 500gb storage. The rest of it seems correct though.

That version has been discontinued more than a year ago...
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4696

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 11:35:49 AM »
Those aren't apps I have any use for - I'm assuming the function is only relevant for illegal applications?

Not at all:

1) There are a few places to purchase legal movies or series not on physical media.
2) Rip blu-ray onto media server so one doesn't have to change discs and flip through physical media (for example I really like having a media wall).

and probably quite a few other uses as well.

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2019, 11:56:13 AM »
That sounds about right, although Dolby MAT (PCM) is more accurate since Atmos is generally supported - it's not exclusive to Netflix.

I guess to be specific one would distinguish between support of DD+ based Atmos (which ATV does with the Netflix app) vs TrueHD Atmos (which the Shield does).

Apparently one can use the Netflix plugin in Kodi to get Netflix Atmos on the Shield, so I guess it does support it (just not directly...)

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2019, 01:09:23 PM »
1) There are a few places to purchase legal movies or series not on physical media.

Such as?

2) Rip blu-ray onto media server so one doesn't have to change discs and flip through physical media (for example I really like having a media wall).

Ripping Blu-ray onto a media server is not legal (see Kaleidescape). Also, I think we both know that's something people do in addition to their torrented content, not exclusively.

I guess to be specific one would distinguish between support of DD+ based Atmos (which ATV does with the Netflix app) vs TrueHD Atmos (which the Shield does).

Apparently one can use the Netflix plugin in Kodi to get Netflix Atmos on the Shield, so I guess it does support it (just not directly...)

DD+ is the only format through which Atmos is legally provided in the digital streaming space (Apple rentals/purchases, Netflix, Amazon Prime...).

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2019, 02:45:40 PM »
Apologies, I interpreted your comment as more general (i.e. the function of the app is illegal, not specifically that Atmos streaming would be for illegal conent). So yes, the places to buy movies digitally are all DD+ Atmos.

You know, you just sent me down a rabbit hole. I always thought ripping your own discs was fair use, and apparently in the USA it is but defeating the copyright protection system is illegal, so one doesn't normally have a way of excercising their fair use right. Apparently the Kaleidescape case was actually a breach of contract case and not specifically a copyright or DRM case... I'm now in a rabbit hole.

Also apparently ripping any media you own in South Africa is illegal, including making MP3s of CDs you own, digitising LPs or Tapes you own, etc. Of course this does not appear to be a law that is enforced in any way. Ironically downloading copyright material is not illegal (but still a copyright violation so a civil case) in SA, but distributing it is. So apparently you can download a copy of a movie you've bought but you can't rip it yourself  :thinking:

Anyway, here's hoping one day we can just buy digital versions of full movies at full Blu-Ray quality with the original Blu-Ray soundtrack. Apparently one could do that through Ultraviolet (no longer around) and through Kaleidscape (the movie buying service, not the

Such as?

Ripping Blu-ray onto a media server is not legal (see Kaleidescape). Also, I think we both know that's something people do in addition to their torrented content, not exclusively.

DD+ is the only format through which Atmos is legally provided in the digital streaming space (Apple rentals/purchases, Netflix, Amazon Prime...).

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2019, 09:46:47 AM »
New nVidia Shield pre-order listing was leaked. Apparently now supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos from Netflix.