Author Topic: The stereo room build  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Kshah

Re: The stereo room build
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 12:28:19 PM »
WOW!!!

Fully subscribed here too...

I am kinda building a mancave too will certainly take some inspiration  here... but mine will have to be stereo and HT too...

But as you know with build projects they are never in budget so my  room gets put on the backburner for now... whilst I attend to other bits and bobs for now...

And will probably ask some noob questions too...

Cant wait to see the finished product
Shah

Online El Sid

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 06:38:24 PM »
Looking good Jason! Can't wait to see the finished project.

I must warn you that the community's expectations are high because of where you set the bar....

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 07:21:31 PM »
Looking good Jason! Can't wait to see the finished project.

I must warn you that the community's expectations are high because of where you set the bar....

Thanks Kerron. Without question, I have no intention of doing anything but the best I can.

My impulsive nature often has me diving into things before scoping out the amount of work involved, but at the very least does force a project on.

On that note, and workload aside, this is going to cost more than I anticipated. Iím hoping to get the most part done within the year, but will be financially challenging. Rule 1 though, Iím not skimping.

Thanks Mike for the advice on the windows, as well as other members on ceiling options.

The room has only one window, and for various reasons, will need to be one big one. Iím considering double glazing, and the window will be covered with horizontal wooden blinds as well as thick curtains.

The window is in design phase and near manufacture. Thatís next, and then plastering and floors.

Ceilings... lots to discuss, but will take some time to consider all the possibilities and best option.

Gatsby... rich woods, burgundy carpets and soft glow lighting, where my thoughts are for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 07:57:40 PM »
Thanks Kerron. Without question, I have no intention of doing anything but the best I can.

My impulsive nature often has me diving into things before scoping out the amount of work involved, but at the very least does force a project on.

On that note, and workload aside, this is going to cost more than I anticipated. Iím hoping to get the most part done within the year, but will be financially challenging. Rule 1 though, Iím not skimping.

Thanks Mike for the advice on the windows, as well as other members on ceiling options.

The room has only one window, and for various reasons, will need to be one big one. Iím considering double glazing, and the window will be covered with horizontal wooden blinds as well as thick curtains.

The window is in design phase and near manufacture. Thatís next, and then plastering and floors.

Ceilings... lots to discuss, but will take some time to consider all the possibilities and best option.

Gatsby... rich woods, burgundy carpets and soft glow lighting, where my thoughts are for now.

That sounds superb.

Jason does what I have no space for and more importantly cannot afford, so in a strange way I get the same satisfaction out of his projects as I would get out of doing it myself in my own home.

Jason, we want regular updates please.

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 06:18:55 AM »
Jason, how is this project progressing?

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 07:39:27 AM »
Jason, how is this project progressing?
ďLifeĒ happens and we have to prioritize. The room is as before, if only a little cleaner.

The gentleman from the construction company I work with had an accident and will be in a wheelchair for a few weeks. Iím not willing to work with anyone else.

In my own place of business Iíve taken on a new role, new challenges and all as we enter the busiest part of the year.

Exam time for kids, so effort needed there too.

If I could go back I would have put it on hold until next year, but thatís spilt milk. Itís all going to happen, and I will post as and when it does. I need to focus on other things for now.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 09:17:00 AM »

The major thing you got right is layout symmetry. That is very rare; one is often stuck with a window on one side (left/right) and a wall on the opposite. You have the basis for very good imaging. As for doorways and adjoining passages: they mostly suck out bass energy. Unless you have access to FEA-type analysis (which will give you a ball-park idea of what the room is doing), the way to deal with bass is to characterise the system by measurement before applying acoustic and EQ solutions. E.g., a Helmholtz resonator has a particular tuning frequency, so it would be premature to stick one in before properly defining the problem to be solved.

I think there is some misunderstanding of the required facet size for diffusers. I have seen people use just scrap wood to make up a panel with random lengths glues together; this approach yields an effective but random result. It helps to know what the target frequency range is, as a start. There are free calculators online to help design and specify the dimensions. Here is one such; there are others.

https://www.subwoofer-builder.com/qrdude.htm

Good luck with your build. I'm following with interest.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 09:48:42 AM »
Thanks for the update.
From about mid November until mid February is a crazy period, so I think your decision to put this on hold is right.

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 06:29:39 AM »
One step further - the first window removed yesterday and roof truss support structures installed for the new lintel insertion.

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 07:40:52 PM »

1000. The old bathroom window is bricked up, the new lintel in and window opening extended to be centre. The rather slow process of cutting the cement floor down to accommodate the thick carpeting at the same level as the entrance tiles is in progress, but man the dust!!!!

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2019, 07:57:55 PM »
You are a brave man ....  :giggle: My wife would kill me.

Offline undrcvrgeek

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 07:52:02 AM »
You are a brave man ....  :giggle: My wife would kill me.

after living in a house while renovations were being done, I promised myself never to do that again! Dust managed to find its way inside of cd cases that were in a "sealed' cabinet....

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 10:03:43 AM »
after living in a house while renovations were being done, I promised myself never to do that again! Dust managed to find its way inside of cd cases that were in a "sealed' cabinet....
Iíve lived through it a few times. As much dust as this one is creating, itís amongst the cleanest as the room is well removed from the rest of the house, with a single access door. Had it not been... I would not be pursuing.

Offline vleisman

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 12:21:06 PM »

1000. The old bathroom window is bricked up, the new lintel in and window opening extended to be centre. The rather slow process of cutting the cement floor down to accommodate the thick carpeting at the same level as the entrance tiles is in progress, but man the dust!!!!

We got a quote for a nice thick wall to wall carpet for one room, potentially to convert to a music room. Price was R18k  :nutter:

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2019, 12:37:48 PM »
We got a quote for a nice thick wall to wall carpet for one room, potentially to convert to a music room. Price was R18k  :nutter:
Good carpets ainít cheap! Iíve also been looking at options for the room, and have been rather surprised at how costly they are, between R600 and R900 per square meter...