Author Topic: NAD Previews T778 Reference AVR  (Read 17380 times)

Offline naks

Re: NAD Previews T778 Reference AVR
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2020, 10:36:27 AM »
I can not take someone seriously when they are doing everything wrong...

excuse my ignorance, but what were they doing wrong?
LG OLED55C7, Oppo UDP-203, Cambridge Audio CXR200, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), SVS PB-1000 sub

Offline pwatts

« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2020, 10:54:28 AM »
Just skipped through it and can't say anything about the AVR itself, but the speakers inside the cabinet will definitely not sound like they are supposed to, and dipoles are a no-no for Atmos. I guess for a couch right against the rear wall it's a compromise since monopoles will be way off-axis or weirdly tilted in which would take up too much depth.

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2020, 11:06:11 AM »
Just skipped through it and can't say anything about the AVR itself, but the speakers inside the cabinet will definitely not sound like they are supposed to, and dipoles are a no-no for Atmos. I guess for a couch right against the rear wall it's a compromise since monopoles will be way off-axis or weirdly tilted in which would take up too much depth.

Also where he measures is completely wrong.

Offline Hja

« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2020, 11:26:33 AM »
And the front speakers on their sides with the tweeters pointing at his knees!  :facepalm:

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2020, 11:51:57 AM »
And the front speakers on their sides with the tweeters pointing at his knees!  :facepalm:

Exactly

Offline pwatts

« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2020, 12:04:16 PM »

Depending on the crossover design, the sideways mounting may or may not be an issue.
Likewise, depending on the off-axis response the low tweeter position may also not be an issue: this is akin to toeing a speaker in or out, sometimes a bit off-axis sounds the same or even better.
The speaker in the cabinet though... that's just messing with the baffle-step, and the cabinet itself will merrily resonate and sing along.

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2020, 06:05:20 PM »

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2020, 07:03:36 PM »
The first meaningful review of this AVR:

Conclusions
NAD gets a lot of things right with T778 with high efficiency and cool running amplifiers, large beautiful display, excellent cooling if needed and good DAC performance (for an AVR). Alas, there just isn't enough attention to detail with respect to noise, bugs, input digitization, etc. Given all of this, I give up and let you all decide if it fits for your purpose. I hope NAD takes this platform and this data and makes a clean up pass for next year to build a truly superior product. As it is, it doesn't get there.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/nad-t778-audio-video-receiver-avr-review.15643

Denon still seems the one to beat, just a pity about the single 40Gbps inputs - looking forward to seeing what the next generation of NAD and Denon AVRs has to offer.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 07:07:59 PM by KenMasters »

Online Vince MacMahon

NAD Previews T778 Reference AVR
« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2020, 07:20:35 PM »
Very progressive from T758
Next version could be a killer product! Look forward to it.

Ken, out of interest, what changed between Denon X6700H (measured bad) and Denon X6700H updated (measured superb)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 07:23:25 PM by Vince MacMahon »
Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #174 on: August 29, 2020, 08:22:05 PM »
Ken, out of interest, what changed between Denon X6700H (measured bad) and Denon X6700H updated (measured superb)?

“Denon is pleased to work with ASR once again, who kindly shared his Denon AVR-X6700H measurement results with Denon engineering. The initial results ASR shared were surprising and prompted an investigation, which resulted in Denon engineering identifying measurement irregularities caused by a particular capacitor used in the initial production run to mitigate a supply issue caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The latest production units have the capacitor Denon typically uses, which does not show the same measurement results."

Online Vince MacMahon

« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2020, 08:22:55 PM »
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2020, 04:30:31 AM »
I do agree. The NAD unit is a killer unit they just need to sort out some small niggles for it to be perfect.