Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Brandy
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2019, 01:24:36 PM »
Time for a group buy?

Marula is truely a magical fruit. One day i will go head to head with amarula and their fake product that uses marula wine, and not brandy to make their product.(they do it for tax reasons)

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • The reformist - there is a better way.
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2019, 01:29:35 PM »
I'm keen.
ďI have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.Ē Alan Watts

Offline Crafty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2019, 01:41:00 PM »
Still a few years to go. Only started about 3 years ago. Iíve got a 12L batch sitting on oak now. Need to do another batch early next year. That batch will be massive. Going to work with 200L marula wine at 10%
This should yield about 40L of prime product.

Offline marantz123

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2019, 08:19:23 PM »
I second Crankshafts call on Fish Eagle Natural Brandy...its very pleasant and forgiving the next day. I heard once that the 3-year old KWV export quality brandy is quite good and under-rated here. It was compared with the 5-year old product and found to be smoother. I wonder if the manufacturer blends it with an aged product..hmm. Just thought about this...what is "Export Quality" (brandy) and what makes it different from a brandy that is not marked as such ?

Offline BJ

• Commercial Member
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2019, 08:23:17 PM »
I second Crankshafts call on Fish Eagle Natural Brandy...its very pleasant and forgiving the next day. I heard once that the 3-year old KWV export quality brandy is quite good and under-rated here. It was compared with the 5-year old product and found to be smoother. I wonder if the manufacturer blends it with an aged product..hmm. Just thought about this...what is "Export Quality" (brandy) and what makes it different from a brandy that is not marked as such ?

Export Quality is for those not using COKE

KWV knows South Africans drink their 5 year old with COKE :point: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline Capetowntracks

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2019, 09:48:32 PM »

Found this gem at a bottle store in a small town on a road trip somewhere from the northern to the western cape. Asked the shop owner for the most unique/special local liquor they had and was presented with this. Only wish I bought more.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I discovered Upland on a visit to Riebeek Kasteel some years ago and now, every time I am out that way, I make a point of getting their potstill brandy at the little bottle store close by the Bar Bar Black Sheep restaurant.

Grundheim was another one that slid down rather nicely over the course of a couple of hours one memorable hot Calitzdorp night. Although we probably should have used more water; a few days later, while having a throat irritation checked out, I experienced one of those moments people like me live for: the only time I have ever heard anyone use the word "excoriated".

Grundheim is worth a visit and boasts a vast selection of, er, high-spirited liquids. The memory is understandably hazy, but I seem to recall we wound up on the old R62, a brief but intriguing diversion from the beaten track.

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2019, 08:57:57 PM »
For a great brandy pop into Avontuur Wine Farm on the R44 Stellenbosch to Somerset West road.

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2019, 10:27:25 PM »
Export Quality is for those not using COKE

KWV knows South Africans drink their 5 year old with COKE :point: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
:thumbs:
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline BJ

• Commercial Member
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2019, 03:30:15 PM »
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline Yossarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2019, 07:24:30 PM »
I would suggest treating good brandy like whsiky. Ie do not hear it as the alcohol will overpowert the flavour. A drop of water is okay to open the nose but older cognacs like whisky can be drunk neat to appreciate the viscosity.

Not sure where the heating the glass came from it may be in a similar vein to serving wine at room temp in SA.

My personal favourite is Joseph Barry 10 followed by Van Ryns 12

Offline Scheepers

• AVForums Member
  • Die lewe is 'n lied! Geniet elke oomblik!
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2019, 08:08:27 AM »
An excellent brandy is the Blaauwklippen 10yo Potstill. :dop:

Here is a link to Makro's website for the price:
https://www.makro.co.za/search?text=blaauwklippen

ZScheepers

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • And there you have it, Bob's your uncle
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2019, 12:41:38 AM »
Went to tops during half time on the rwc final
Saw KWV 12 with 2 glasses on special for R299 and saw 10 year with 2 glasses for R239.
They only had one 12 year left and 2 10s.
I walked out with a bottle of 10 and 12.
The 12 year is my "take to a braai" brandy.
My bottle of KWV 20 is my listen to music brandy and is running low as it does, I never see specials on it , ever, although the tops manager gets really happy when I buy a bottlw and always gives me glasses etc, but still, a nice special from time to time would also be nice as they do with the 12 year.

I had some richleu 10 this afternoon and I must say for a 10 year, it's not bad at all, almost seems as smooth as the KWV 12 year.

I then poured a klipdroft gold and I'm reminded why the bottle is lasting as long as it is. This sits above their premium and it states that its blended with brandies that have been aged up to 20 years (I think its mainly a 10 year) and it's harsh compared to the KWV offering, it's bit something I enjoy. A friend prefers the klipdroft gold to the KWV 12, I'm not sure if KWV is just sweeter than normal and makes it more pleasant (for me).

I need to do some exploring and broaden my horizens a little as reading this thread has shown how limited my experimces have actually been as I haven't tried half the brandies mentioned here

BTW, speaking of brandies with cream, does anyone know where I can find Angels share? I had a bottle some years ago and really enjoyed it, to me, it was much nicer than amarula or wild Africa cream.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 12:44:25 AM by BobsYourUncle »
I'm hearing images, I'm seeing songs that poet has ever painted

Online santoshlv426

• AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2019, 03:36:47 PM »
Value for Money, KWV 10 year old is hard to beat.
Not sure if it's still available, but Nederberg made an excellent POtstilled Brandy.

Offline Crafty

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2019, 05:36:22 AM »
A couple of years ago i went to a friendís place to have him sample some of my marula beer. He then had me taste a brandy without looking. It ran like syrup from the glass edge. This was the day I was converted from whiskey to brandy.
I asked him what it was and he said kwv 10. I called BS, as i had a few, and this was not it.
Turned out, it was kwv 10... bottled in 1957.
It was a gift to his father from the military who did not like brandy as he was irish. This stayed in storage until his oldman retired and offered it to him in exchange for some whiskey.
Because of this, those that say alcohol only age while in barrels are talking crap. It can improve in glass bottles as well.

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2019, 10:15:33 PM »
^ Agreed,like wine,it can even improve in the glass! Have found this quite often - brandy And whisky...  :thumbs:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural