Author Topic: Brandy  (Read 8806 times)

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Brandy
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 03:47:08 PM »
I did think I am not the only one...
Also enjoy brandy, whisky and wine. Red, by preference. Life is too short for bad coffee and white wine. :EGrin:
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

"Modern hi-fi is little more than a way of getting electricity to pretend that it's music."
Art Dudley, Stereophile

Offline BJ

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+13)
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2019, 09:58:04 PM »
Personally, I think our hot weather conditions have killed the Connoisseur side of Brandy in a Big Way....

I am a firm believer that the drink should not be mixed with Ice....at least not the Potstills and Aging ones

South African image.....Met Eishhh.... equals the American Big Mac

Room temperature at least, but definitely if you want the Aromas to come through......heat the Class, or at least like Jamesb rightfully said....keep it in the palm of your hand

Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 10:45:07 PM »
Personally, I think our hot weather conditions have killed the Connoisseur side of Brandy in a Big Way....

I am a firm believer that the drink should not be mixed with Ice....at least not the Potstills and Aging ones

South African image.....Met Eishhh.... equals the American Big Mac

Room temperature at least, but definitely if you want the Aromas to come through......heat the Class, or at least like Jamesb rightfully said....keep it in the palm of your hand
Maybe it is not a sin to drink good (potstill or otherwise) brandy with a mixer or even ice, but it ought to be. No offence: tastes differ from one to the other and that is a good thing.
David Avocado Wolfe

"Modern hi-fi is little more than a way of getting electricity to pretend that it's music."
Art Dudley, Stereophile

Offline BJ

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+13)
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 07:05:01 AM »
Maybe it is not a sin to drink good (potstill or otherwise) brandy with a mixer or even ice, but it ought to be. No offence: tastes differ from one to the other and that is a good thing.

Yes.....not arguing that. It can be a lovely drink with a mix.

Years ago Paarl Rock on one of their tours introduced me to adding a juice to their Brandy. Their Hanepoot  blend extremely well with juice.

Even with Coke the difference between KWV 10 year and Klippies are quite noticeable.

Just saying, like Wine tasting, having it Clean will bring out everything that the Celler master had in mind.

And the more you drink/taste it like that.....the more one appreciates the Art
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2019, 07:24:50 PM »
Yes.....not arguing that. It can be a lovely drink with a mix.

Years ago Paarl Rock on one of their tours introduced me to adding a juice to their Brandy. Their Hanepoot  blend extremely well with juice.

Even with Coke the difference between KWV 10 year and Klippies are quite noticeable.

Just saying, like Wine tasting, having it Clean will bring out everything that the Celler master had in mind.

And the more you drink/taste it like that.....the more one appreciates the Art
I second that, Ben. Putting ice in red wine is not my cup of tea either.
David Avocado Wolfe

Art Dudley, Stereophile

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2019, 09:29:39 PM »

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Grandmaster

Offline Crafty

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2019, 09:44:15 PM »
Im a brandy man yes. I enjoy kwv moyo and the 20 year. 12 year i will have with ginger ale.
Im also making my own marula brandy. Been developing the recipe for a couple of years now.

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2019, 07:56:32 AM »
Im a brandy man yes. I enjoy kwv moyo and the 20 year. 12 year i will have with ginger ale.
Im also making my own marula brandy. Been developing the recipe for a couple of years now.
@Crafty That sounds awesome, please tell us more, and how about a picture or two of the still?
I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.  Alan Watts

Offline Crafty

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 08:12:50 AM »
@Crafty That sounds awesome, please tell us more, and how about a picture or two of the still?

Im using the pool pump to pump cold water through the condenser. That way i do not have to keep the hosepipe open for 6 hours.
Its a basic pot still design, with no reflux or packing material. Using a 50L keg with a 3kw heating element. I used to use gas untill one fateful day my still caught fire. Scary AF.
While developing the recipe, i use oak cubes in an 18l corny keg. I run twice with a few secrets of my own mixed in.
Marula is truely a magical fruit. One day i will go head to head with amarula and their fake product that uses marula wine, and not brandy to make their product.(they do it for tax reasons)

Offline Crankshaft

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2019, 11:03:32 AM »
Flight of the Fish Eagle brandy is pretty good.
I quite enjoy it with soda water.

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2019, 10:17:53 PM »
Dammit, you guys! This is a music forum. Please respect that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2jytmME_w0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMWcUwCqLw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K072qo4eLbQ
O brandewyn laat my staan, o brandewyn laat my staan, o brandewyn laat my staaaaaan: ek wil nou huis toe gaan! :whistler:
David Avocado Wolfe

Art Dudley, Stereophile

Offline Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • #whenpeoplezol
    • jagasounds
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2019, 10:42:43 PM »

Offline MeTsU

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2019, 06:47:08 AM »
Checked the cupboard and it's indeed brandy, pot-still at that and at 65% alcohol. Not smooth or anyway refined at all, and closest I can describe it is "pleasantly rough/harsh", sorts of reminds you that you are ALIVE and a MAN among men.

Found this gem at a bottle store in a small town on a road trip somewhere from the northern to the western cape. Asked the shop owner for the most unique/special local liquor they had and was presented with this. Only wish I bought more.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Looks quite interesting.  I see they have the Undiluted with a write up on their website and the ability to order:

http://www.organicwine.co.za/pure-undiluted-brandy-box-set

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2019, 12:26:10 PM »

Im using the pool pump to pump cold water through the condenser. That way i do not have to keep the hosepipe open for 6 hours.
Its a basic pot still design, with no reflux or packing material. Using a 50L keg with a 3kw heating element. I used to use gas untill one fateful day my still caught fire. Scary AF.
While developing the recipe, i use oak cubes in an 18l corny keg. I run twice with a few secrets of my own mixed in.
Marula is truely a magical fruit. One day i will go head to head with amarula and their fake product that uses marula wine, and not brandy to make their product.(they do it for tax reasons)

@Crafty Thanks for the picture and information. Impressive! Looks like a lekker still you have there. 54mm Copper? I have many questions, having built my own still as well, but will not hijack this thread. I will start a new thread when ready.
I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.  Alan Watts