Author Topic: Brandy  (Read 8807 times)

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
Brandy
« on: September 14, 2019, 09:17:19 PM »
Don't anyone on this forum enjoy a good brandy then? Had two tastings at Van Ryn's recently and was really impressed. Maybe very few whisk(e)y drinkers - at least not those who prefer peaty over sweaty - would enjoy brandy, but as for me, I enjoy both. Not "young" brandies, but properly aged ones. And especially potstill. There's a lot out there I still need to taste, but the Van Ryn's does it for me. Quite a few years ago my winemaker SIL presented my with a bottle of Backsberg's Sydney Back 10 YO and it proved to be really enjoyable. Started to open my eyes for good brandy, having already started to see the light as far as whisky is concerned after my first bottle of 12 YO Glenfiddich.

Come on people, surely there are brandy aficionados amongst you?
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

"Modern hi-fi is little more than a way of getting electricity to pretend that it's music."
Art Dudley, Stereophile

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • And there you have it, Bob's your uncle
Re: Brandy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 06:49:58 PM »
I treat myself to a bottle of KWV 20 year every now and then and (try) make it last.
If I'm having drinks at a friends place, I then get myself a bottle kwv12 year, one can literally drink a hole bottle in one night and feel OK the next day.
Someone had a bottle of bufflesfontein brandy and kept insisting I tried it, I felt horrible the next day after just 3 of them (I suspect he was pouring half brandy/half coke drinks, but still, aweful stuff)
I do also enjoy richleu 10 year sometimes.
I find klipdrift Gold to be a bit rough so I have a bottle just sitting here for who knows when.

In a recent trip to haizyview, the best they had at hotel numbi was KWV10, so I settled for that.

I will not touch "brandy specials" at pubs and a lot of pups don't have decent brandy, so, I then move onto Windhoek or redsquare energizer (silver) depending on the mood.

As for Whiskey, it's not for me.

I'm hearing images, I'm seeing songs that poet has ever painted

Offline Nirvana

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 10:33:53 AM »
Yes,I also like a Brandy now and then,but won't exactly call myself an aficionado,since I can't afford the expensive stuff.

Like whisky,I have it with a block of ice and some natural spring water (about 1-1 with the amount of brandy) and sip it slowly,certainly not very often with Coke or other flavoured drinks!
My go-to's are KWV 10(fruit cake),Fish Eagle(fruity,flowery and vibrant) O M Demant (perfumy) and Richelieu 10(rich but elegant and moreish). Like with whisky,older is not always 'better',as has been 'proved' often in blind tastings...
Laborie make a very delicious Alambic,with long aftertaste

I recently discovered Mystic Boer,not bad at 38%,with Potstill content - veering towards the Cognac style.(If I recall correctly,the Backsberg was also in this style)
The Van Ryn's range is excellent,but a bit pricey for me,I settle for Viceroy 5 yr (also with some potstill content) now and then.

I've tasted Buffelsfontein and Jack Parow's,but won't buy them.

Enjoy!  :2thumbs:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 10:58:10 AM »
Wife loves Brandy, I prefer whisky/whiskey but also like the odd Brannas. The best one I've ever tasted was Die Mas 'Die Kalahari Truffel'.

Drinking any half-decent brandy with Coke or any cool-drink should be a felony.

Offline BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 11:11:54 AM »
Wife loves Brandy, I prefer whisky/whiskey but also like the odd Brannas. The best one I've ever tasted was Die Mas 'Die Kalahari Truffel'.

I once poured someone some of my KWV 20 year thinking that I was treating them and they hinted that they wanted coke, I didn't assault them but after that they had to settle for klipdrift gold.

Offline optimus

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 02:44:01 PM »
I do enjoy brandy every so often . Oude Moulen VOV ( think it might be rebranded now) & Rene, KWV Alambic (I would love to know what this means)  15 year , and Blauuwklippen are all very delicious . In fact most of the SA pot still brandies that I have tasted  are pretty darn good .

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »
Yes,I also like a Brandy now and then,but won't exactly call myself an aficionado,since I can't afford the expensive stuff.

I recently discovered Mystic Boer,not bad at 38%,with Potstill content - veering towards the Cognac style.(If I recall correctly,the Backsberg was also in this style - quite right, like Van Ryn's, their still is on display in their tasting room - or was last time I was there some years ago))
The Van Ryn's range is excellent,but a bit pricey for me   -and for me; that is why I have not opened the 10 YO potstill I bought some months ago! Their 20 YO immediately reminded me of fruitcake when I took my first sip, without the lady presenting the tasting having told me beforehand what I should find as she did for the 12 and 15 YO I tasted first,I settle for Viceroy 5 yr (also with some potstill content) now and then.

I've tasted Buffelsfontein and Jack Parow's,but won't buy them.

Enjoy!  :2thumbs:
There are quite few mentioned above that I might get around to tasting yet, but I think I am going to consume the Van Ryn's first - and that is going to take a while.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

"Modern hi-fi is little more than a way of getting electricity to pretend that it's music."
Art Dudley, Stereophile

Offline JamesB

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 01:57:57 PM »
Before South Africa introduced me to wine, Cognac was my drink of choice.  Last year, a friend introduced me to single malt whiskey, so now I enjoy all 3 and would honestly not be able to say which of the 3 I would prefer if I had to drink only 1.

Strangely enough though, for some reason I can consume more than half a bottle of Cognac in 1 evening and not get drunk or even suffer a hang over, and in fact am always up by 5 am the next morning during such occasions, unfortunately this does not hold true for wine or whiskey.  The even stranger thing is that I start feeling the effects of the alcohol the moment I start drinking water the next day, it's like getting post-drunk???

Now back to the topic at hand.  I was gifted a couple of years ago a bottle of Ladismith brandy (8yr old I think) and it was superb and I think could compete with the lower end French Cognacs in terms of taste.  I also am stretching out another SA brew at home, but not sure whether it's brandy or something else but that thing packs a whallop and will sure put hair on the chest (60% alcohol iirc) - will go check later

Offline JamesB

• AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 01:59:26 PM »

where's the like button when you need it.  Agree 1001%

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 02:55:02 PM »
I find most SA brandies to be too sweet to my liking, but some cost-conscious favourites below:

KWV Imoya
KWV 12Y
Honor VSOP
Corvoisier VSOP
Remy Martin VSOP

I found the Hennessey VS and VSOP not the best value for money. Klipdrift Gold I had high hopes for in the value department but found it far too sweet to my liking.

In the past the KWV 10Y was a firm favourite but especially directly after having something better it hits with a one-dimensional acetone nose.

By and large the favourite is Martell Cordon Bleu but at over R2k it's not an everyday dop.

Offline Nadfan

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 08:32:47 PM »
Hello ! I do indulge in a decent Brandy during the colder months. Rather enjoyable brands I tried this year are from Boplaas, Avontuur & Nuy. Adding only a bit of water in liquid or frozen form does it for me!

Offline JamesB

• AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 10:26:31 PM »
Checked the cupboard and it's indeed brandy, pot-still at that and at 65% alcohol. Not smooth or anyway refined at all, and closest I can describe it is "pleasantly rough/harsh", sorts of reminds you that you are ALIVE and a MAN among men.

Found this gem at a bottle store in a small town on a road trip somewhere from the northern to the western cape. Asked the shop owner for the most unique/special local liquor they had and was presented with this. Only wish I bought more.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline BJ

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+13)
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 06:59:19 PM »
Lekke Klippies en Coke thread Louis

I go through Seasons with this....

I get myself Into Whiskeys some time with no appetite for Brandy, and then it changes.

Whiskeys clean and on the Rocks.

The Brandy’s, I treat like Cognac.....

I heat the goblet before pouring the shot. Just LUV the extra Aromas coming from the Brandy by doing so....

Anyone else into this ???

Some good choices listed so far...

I do like Potstill....something special about them!!!

One of my favorites going back some years were the Paarl Rock Brandy’s. The 12 year old Absolutely Divine

Pity they stopped producing it in the “Erde Kruik” Bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline JamesB

• AVForums Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 09:14:56 AM »
The Brandy’s, I treat like Cognac.....

I heat the goblet before pouring the shot. Just LUV the extra Aromas coming from the Brandy by doing so....

Anyone else into this ???

Agree, especially if someone else does it for me, otherwise just too lazy to go through it .  What I do instead, is using a proper Cognac glass (wine glass will suffice, or something with a slightly rounded out bottom), is to let the body of the glass rest on my palm and continuously swirl it slowly.  Obviously does not have the same effect as heating up the glass, but a good 2nd for me.

Offline BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 10:52:13 AM »
I'm enjoying a KWV 20 year right now while reading this