Author Topic: Air purifiers / Air Revitaliser - good or harmful?  (Read 355 times)

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+56)
Air purifiers / Air Revitaliser - good or harmful?
« on: September 14, 2019, 09:34:20 AM »
The office decided that they want to get two of these gimmicks to prevent flu from spreading when the staff gets sick.  :walled:

The image is just for reference. Ours did not come from Clicks and is probably a different make as well.

The office has no windows except for the door and these two swirly things churn all the time, making the place smell like a glorified loo. The effect of the "fresh air" is so strong it actually causes breathing problems for me at times.

What is your take on these things? I don't think they will have any effect on containing the spread of flu or any other airborne disease. In fact, I think they will probably cause respiratory damage over long term exposure. The oils are supposed to be natural plant oils, but I am sure they are just plain chemicals with lots of VOC's.

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Air purifiers / Air Revitaliser - good or harmful?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 09:42:48 AM »
If you want to prevent the spread of colds/flu.....look up which vectors really cause the spread of these things.....Unfortunately some people can be naughty in not have the common decency to correctly wash their hands properly as the fecal-oral route predominates.

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 09:47:47 AM »
I know this. But they seem to think these gadgets will help with the airborne transmission.

Offline Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • jagasounds at soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 10:12:16 AM »
They're crazy.  It's not for killing bacteria and viruses.  ...It's for filtering.  And if it smells like a loo, they're overdoing the...perfume. 

All I was going to say, when I saw the thread title, was that a guy I know in Delhi, has tried two of them, and reviewed them on his website.  I can't remember if he has a pollen problem, but Delhi has extremely high levels of particulate pollution, some people look at the reports every day. Of course,...well, you don't need it if you have aircon, it apparently he doesn't. (Electricity is expensive, so many people use desert air coolers and stuff.)
He never mentioned any perfume. - He would have, if there was.  I just remember that he got one, and then sometime later he got another one, a different brand, and wrote a review on it.

It doesn't even say germs, and so on.  ...smh.   ...The pollen and particulates would be removed by the aircon filters - or at least most of it...probably make more sense to wash the filters more often.  That is quite a mission, in the workplace i know, I think it is done every week or 2.  But that's a very big, mostly open plan area. 
Anyway, what I got from Yogesh's reviews is that they do work, and some are better than others.

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 10:16:52 AM »
If I have trouble breathing at times is alarming. That to me means the perfume they put in is harmful?

Offline Katji

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 10:29:31 AM »
There are some industrial perfumes that can be quite...strong.  One co-worker used to freak out about whatever it was that the cleaner used to wipe the desks. ...i mean she was really sensitive to it. She used to take her laptop and go away.
And, there was one woman that...so much deodorant, I was affected by it just walking past her. Acrid!

I just googled that website - way more than I expected, but if you want to read something, his review - one of them - is the one with the pic that says "Unboxing of" whatever.
https://www.google.com/search?q=air+purifier+site:www.bcmtouring.com&newwindow=1&client=firefox-b-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=lsyQ3FK4GKJNCM%253A%252CCvzhUF904_9WJM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSKiF03UVVXTTh_TB6ktWGkOP_IYA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwip9sT778_kAhUkpnEKHdJ3D8cQ9QEwCnoECAcQBg#imgrc=lsyQ3FK4GKJNCM:
"Air Purifiers, Are they any good ? | Page 2 | India Travel ..."

Offline Baseline

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 11:52:09 AM »
In general they are good. Removing airborne pollen and dust which gets trapped in the water is particularly helpful for those persons who are sensitive to pollen, causing red, irritated eyes and running sinuses. The generation of negative ions is of benefit to everyone and helps with general health by creating a more calm environment. The negative ions counteract the positive ions created by all electrical devices from computers to florescent lights. I would leave the fragrances out as they may be putting a different pollutant into the air and undoing all the good done by the rest of the process.
.It's all about the Music.

Offline rodga

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 12:03:28 PM »
I have the mi air purifier 2. Started using it last week. Can't tell if its made any difference yet, but I'm sure its better than not having one for the little guy.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 12:06:41 PM »
Flu is different from reaction to allergens. Note that we are these days experiencing the highest levels of pollen ever. A researcher on the radio last Saturday advised that susceptible persons should try and stay indoors when it is windy, as wind propagates spores and whips up those that have settled. Any means of filtering out these air-borne irritants should be welcomed, but I don't see the need to use perfumed product.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Baseline

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
It just occurred to me that for those wanting to fragrance the air in their environment, a better option would be to use essential oils as used in aroma therapy. Lavender will assist in creating a calming effect and Lemon is a fresh and revitalizing scent that can assist in mental alertness. The key is to use it very sparingly so that you are only just aware of a hint of the scent. Start out by using just a drop as the oils are highly concentrated and the next day adjust upward by one more if desired.
.It's all about the Music.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 12:38:05 PM »
Cannot you just open the windows?

I recall in the BP Building in the 1970s, the air-con guys used to come once a month to clean the filters.   One Sunday I had to go in since a ship was on fire in the harbour and needed insurance info

The dirt coming out these filters was like used car oil.  It was disgusting and to think this had accumulated in a month was astonishing

The windows were sealed, so there was no way to open.  The fresh air came in from the top, 28 floors up and was mixed with recycled air.  Much like is done on an aircraft
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Katji

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 01:33:18 PM »
^^^ Bingo! :)   ...I used to see it - the filters, and the guy washing them, because the huge aircon tanks and pumps were alongside an outside passage and the smokers' deck. ...There must've been a spare set of filter panels, because they were left there to dry for a while after being washed.
Major road, I think most of that black dirt is tyre rubber/carbon black.
Fortunately, we could open the windows - and sometimes we had to, when the aircon wasn't working.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 04:03:35 PM »
They reminded me of bass traps.   Square pieces of foam, about 900mm square with plates top and bottom.  About 3m high.   The techie wore breathing apparatus since when they were taken out of the boxes and dropped onto the deck, clouds of black filth dropped off.  I looked through the observation window on the roof

They were in a hinged box 3000 x 900 x 900 and this was pulled out of the fan housing and the foam piece came out.  One man could easily manage it putting it back
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 04:52:38 PM »
Brooklyn Bridge. Air purifiers. Scientology. Aquapol rising damp cure.

All BS.

It is highly unlikely that these air purifiers will be able to catch pollen (for example). Pollen is heavy & will fall long before the teeny fan in these things will circulate & "catch" it.

As for viruses, well, let the BS reign. Does the filter have an ultraviolet light or heat sourced sterilizer? If not it ain't going to "catch" or "kill" ****. In fact, it won't even "catch" the smell of ****. Or cigarette smoke for that matter.

At the very best there are some studies that show negative ions help trap fine particulate matter. That is all. The rest of the nonsense about negative ions making people feel better needs vastly more research before any of it can be replicated and verified.

But, hey, for those believers, I've still got 2 Himalayan Salt Lamps that I'll be happy to sell.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 08:16:19 PM »

But, hey, for those believers, I've still got 2 Himalayan Salt Lamps that I'll be happy to sell.

I'm interested - How many times have they been licked?  :popcorn: