I need a new DAC

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimGore

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For the past couple of years I have been using a Theta Digital DAC between my CDP and Amp. 
Not even sure which one anymore - it is inside an unmarked black box with an on/off switch infront.  I purchased it from an elderly gentleman who had found the circuit board somewhere and transplanted it into this unmarked and generally ugly-looking 2U rack mount enclosure with handles.

Anyway, time seems to have taken it's toll, and the DAC is starting to misbehave at times.  I think it is time for it to retire to the comfortable and cozy space in my closet which I have reserved for it.

So, what are my options for a new one?  If possible, I would prefer to do a DIY DAC from a kit or such.  While I am reasonably handy with a soldering iron, there is no way I will be able to solder a 40 pin IC onto a board where you need a microscope to see the contact points. 

Now, if Gert were willing to come up with a nice DAC, I would probably be one of the first to place my order (nudge, nudge).  Considering that the man may still be recovering from the headphone amp project, we might need a plan B.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ian.