Author Topic: Simple Kitchen Tricks, Tips, and Cheats  (Read 638 times)

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Re: Simple Kitchen Tricks, Tips, and Cheats
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 07:40:01 PM »
If using a pasta maker, never put salt into the pasta before putting through the machine, and flour it before use.  Expect to have to put a little dough through which you will not use, it will clean the machine by picking up any dust etc as they cannot be easily washed.

Home made pasta is dead easy, cheaper than shop bought, and tastier.  One other thing, rather cut it by hand, the cutting blades are usually pretty crap and a simple knife on a flat stone surface will give you better tagliatelle and you can do the bigger version whose name I forget.

As long as the water is like the sea salt wise, your pasta will need no additional salt once cooked
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 07:43:40 PM »
A less specific tip.  Have one good knife that you are used to and can use for most things.  Keep it sharp and you do not need loads of knives (unless you are a chef).  A sontoku is my choice, perfectly weighted and I can use it for everything except filleting fish (which I never do!)
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »
As long as the water is like the sea salt wise, your pasta will need no additional salt once cooked

I think it was Nigella who said "as salty as the Mediterranean..." . I had to rewind a few times.

Online DACMan1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 12:05:32 PM »
simple knife on a flat stone surface will give you better tagliatelle and you can do the bigger version whose name I forget.

A knife on a stone makes me very uncomfortable. Please get a wood cutting board (preferably end-grain) - no steel will stay sharp when used on stone/porcelain.

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 11:33:30 AM »
I have wooden cutting boards too.  When cutting pasta I find it better to use the granite top directly.  Well floured, then lay out the pasta sheet and rapidly cut with the tip of a knife (not much pressure used and the tip can be easily resharpened).  Or use a pizza wheel which again is a blade but not very sharp.  Flour gets into the wooden boards like it is going out of fashion and with moisture and a bit of egg pasta will ruin your board.  The granite also remains cooler so the pasta doesn't start to become loose.  Wrap into birds nests, gently flour and use immediately, or gently flour and hang on a rail then bag up and refrigerate.