Author Topic: Impossible Burger  (Read 1332 times)

Offline shadow.clone

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Impossible Burger
« on: September 12, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »
Has anyone had an Impossible Burger in Gauteng? If so, where did you try it and how did it taste?

I'm a meat eater but I'd like to try it out to see what the fuss is about. 

If you haven't heard of it, have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ragC7kajQPw

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Impossible Burger
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 10:40:42 AM »
Soya...phyto-estrogens.....manboobs. Nutritionally nowhere near meat...I don't get the attraction, other than a gateway drug to get veggies back onto eating species-appropriately.

Offline shadow.clone

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 11:08:01 AM »
Not my field of expertise so I can't comment on the health benefits/adverse effects of the Impossible Burger, but something tells me a single meal won't cause manboobs :giggle:

Perhaps it's something I should look into as soya is big in Asian diets and often purported to be healthy. I do feel that modern diets are largely unhealthy as there is an over-reliance on (processed) meat due to the availability thereof.

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 11:11:09 AM »
When I saw the title I thought it was going to be one of those massive burgers that are "impossible to finish".

Instead I get veggies.  :facepalm:

Nope, nope, nope. Soya  :puke:
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline santoshlv426

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 11:29:42 AM »
I can't understand vegans who scorn meat and then do everything they can including processing food on a scientific level just to get back to the same texture and flavor of the most natural protein on the planet and still think this is healthly.
Ever look at the ingredients of Fry's Food Soya ? About the only natuaral thing there is Soya and that's only about 30%.

Offline chrisflex

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 11:34:09 AM »
I can't understand vegans who scorn meat and then do everything they can including processing food on a scientific level just to get back to the same texture and flavor of the most natural protein on the planet and still think this is healthly.
Ever look at the ingredients of Fry's Food Soya ? About the only natuaral thing there is Soya and that's only about 30%.

True  :ROFLMAO:

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 11:36:15 AM »
Perhaps it's something I should look into as soya is big in Asian diets and often purported to be healthy. I do feel that modern diets are largely unhealthy as there is an over-reliance on (processed) meat due to the availability thereof.

Long term there is a definite origin for the word soy-boi. The estrogenic value in high consumers can exceed that of a pregnant woman. Traditional asian use of soya is fermented to reduce the ill effects. Beyond Meat is hyper-processed soy.

Offline shadow.clone

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 11:39:35 AM »
To clarify, I don't eat soya. I can't stand the stuff. I'm a meat eater, but I find this to be intriguing as such developments may address the environmental impact of meat production as the global appetite for beef grows. Sadly, FUD is spread by both camps so I'm not sure if the environmental impact of the Impossible Burger is better than that of meat on a large scale, and if it comes at the cost of adverse health effects. I just want to try out a burger :BWAHAHAH:

Are you referring to Impossible Burger? If so, where did you read that they are vegan?

Offline shadow.clone

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 11:54:20 AM »
Long term there is a definite origin for the word soy-boi. The estrogenic value in high consumers can exceed that of a pregnant woman. Traditional asian use of soya is fermented to reduce the ill effects. Beyond Meat is hyper-processed soy.

High consumers of water and oxygen will also experience serious side-effects, notably death in extreme cases.

Of course, I'm being a little facetious and I do appreciate your viewpoint. Even a minor issue over a long enough term can bring about health issues. I'm not sure if they're pitching the Impossible Burger as a universal solution to meat production/consumption (I just saw a video and wanted to try it), but I'm all for progress. Maybe this "technology" will lead to other positive developments or use cases (e.g. shelf-stable food aid)?

Offline santoshlv426

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 11:54:58 AM »
@ Shadow.
I'm referring to the impossible burger and other processed soya products - ie anything that feels like meat, but isn't. I for one can spot a meat substitution immediately. when you bite into it, it crumbles in the mouth and feels like "cereal or corn". Meat hold's it consistency.

On another point, vegans/vegeatrian's think that lower meat consumpation will save the planet and this is not the case. Avocado's, tomoatoes, all green vegetables are comprised mainly of water and it take's a lot of water to grow.
Some time back I glanced over an article stating that Avocado's are in the cross hairs of the environmentalist because of the water required to grow.

Excuse the pun, but there are no free dinners.
Assuming we all South Africans have access to any food we want, we have ~ 50 million people each requiring on average say 6000KJ/day
This  equates to 300 billion kilojoules /day

which is about 45,000 tons of avo's per day or 65,000 ckn.
I know I'm being simplistic, but it takes resources to produce either of those (and others)

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 12:00:44 PM »
The other major issue with most beans (and soys especially so) is the tendency to bind micro-nutrients in the gut. Zinc, Calcium and a bunch of others. Elderly and breastfeeding mums especially  should seek alternative protein sources.

The production of ruminant meat can actually be a factor in environmental regeneration. Its impact is way, way overstated by the hysterical anti-meat folks and is in no way proportionate with other environmental risks.

Offline shadow.clone

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 12:37:01 PM »
@ Shadow.
I'm referring to the impossible burger and other processed soya products - ie anything that feels like meat, but isn't. I for one can spot a meat substitution immediately. when you bite into it, it crumbles in the mouth and feels like "cereal or corn". Meat hold's it consistency.

On another point, vegans/vegeatrian's think that lower meat consumpation will save the planet and this is not the case. Avocado's, tomoatoes, all green vegetables are comprised mainly of water and it take's a lot of water to grow.
Some time back I glanced over an article stating that Avocado's are in the cross hairs of the environmentalist because of the water required to grow.

Excuse the pun, but there are no free dinners.
Assuming we all South Africans have access to any food we want, we have ~ 50 million people each requiring on average say 6000KJ/day
This  equates to 300 billion kilojoules /day

which is about 45,000 tons of avo's per day or 65,000 ckn.
I know I'm being simplistic, but it takes resources to produce either of those (and others)

I agree with you on the no free dinners. I've found that factions in a debate often resort to spreading half-truths, FUD and so on (e.g. I know you mention avos for illustrative purposes, but the initial article might have been based on a strawman argument as there are probably more feasible crops out there in relation to meat). Of course, this cuts both ways so I think it's wrong to pin the motive behind Impossible Burgers on vegans unless you have knowledge to that effect*. I suspect the motives are environmental and, more so, commercial in nature.

Re: the consistency, Impossible Burger is attempting to address that exact issue by trying to replicate the same mouth feel as meat.

*No, I'm not a vegan and don't know any vegans either.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:39:40 PM by shadow.clone »

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 12:47:52 PM »
I agree with you on the no free dinners. I've found that factions in a debate often resort to spreading half-truths, FUD and so on (e.g. I know you mention avos for illustrative purposes, but the initial article might have been based on a strawman argument as there are probably more feasible crops out there in relation to meat). Of course, this cuts both ways so I think it's wrong to pin the motive behind Impossible Burgers on vegans unless you have knowledge to that effect*. I suspect the motives are environmental and, more so, commercial in nature.

Re: the consistency, Impossible Burger is attempting to address that exact issue by trying to replicate the same mouth feel as meat.

*No, I'm not a vegan and don't know any vegans either.

Re: the bold bit - I envy you  :envy:

Offline shadow.clone

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 12:51:01 PM »
 :BWAHAHAH: are they a handful?

Offline shadow.clone

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »
The other major issue with most beans (and soys especially so) is the tendency to bind micro-nutrients in the gut. Zinc, Calcium and a bunch of others. Elderly and breastfeeding mums especially  should seek alternative protein sources.

Interesting.

Where is the like button on this sub-board, mods?