Author Topic: Subwoofer placement  (Read 1025 times)

Offline TimbaLand

Subwoofer placement
« on: September 11, 2019, 09:56:43 AM »
Thereís a lot of advise on sub placement including the crawling in the room method. I want to know if thereís is any general guidance on placement  vs sitting position. I think I once read something on the drawbacks of sitting position being in the middle of the room. My room is 7.4 x 4m and main sitting position is right in the centre of the room. Where  would it be recommended as optimal placement as a function of my sitting position?
Marantz AV7705|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Optoma UHD40 projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Offline KenMasters

Re: Subwoofer placement
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 10:12:05 AM »
Is this for a HT setup? First port of call would be calculating the correct seating distance from the screen, then see where you find yourself in relation to the room*. Also I assume your speakers are firing down the length of the room?

*More often than not, you find you actually need to move a bit closer - rule of thumb for correct listening position in a rectangular room is at 38% the length from the front.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:15:50 AM by KenMasters »

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 10:38:55 AM »
Is this for a HT setup? First port of call would be calculating the correct seating distance from the screen, then see where you find yourself in relation to the room*. Also I assume your speakers are firing down the length of the room?

*More often than not, you find you actually need to move a bit closer - rule of thumb for correct listening position in a rectangular room is at 38% the length from the front.

Heís uts for HT. My main sitting position is at 4m which is 54% of the room length from the front wall. I have minimal option to move the sitting position because of where the surrounds and in ceilings have been installed. Iím light of that would there be an ideal position for the sub vs. It sitting the front wall?
Marantz AV7705|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Optoma UHD40 projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »
Heís uts for HT. My main sitting position is at 4m which is 54% of the room length from the front wall. I have minimal option to move the sitting position because of where the surrounds and in ceilings have been installed. Iím light of that would there be an ideal position for the sub vs. It sitting the front wall?

Well I guess if you can't move your seated position, you can't move your seated position. As for the best place for the sub, first prize would be to measure the response at the locations you have available to you. If you don't have access to a relatively accurate USB mic - you should try to get hold of one.

Failing that, I guess you're left with the crawl method. Place your sub at the listening position, play some bass heavy music, then crawl to your preferred placement locations (somewhere along the front wall is best I think, near a corner or alongside one of the fronts) - place the sub where the bass is strongest/loudest.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:50:54 AM by KenMasters »

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 02:12:23 PM »
I used to get the nicest bass in the 2nd row. I moved it halfway into the room and itís firing lengthwise into both sides of the room now. Iím getting much deeper bass on the first row than before. Later Iíll run audyssey again and see how it sounds.

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 05:00:21 PM »
fire up that credit card get a 2nd sub  :sh1tstirrer:
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 05:35:00 PM »
fire up that credit card get a 2nd sub  :sh1tstirrer:

Iím not playing that game 🤣🤣🤣
Younger me would whip it out and buy that DB1 on the classifieds

Offline santoshlv426

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 11:17:18 AM »
Two subs are definately better than 1. Failing that, and I've never tried this, but a single sub should then be in the centre either directly in front or behind. As long as the ports are no firing into the wall or floor ie. the air waves can dissipate with ease, it should be fine.
I have had never ending problems with my downfiring 8" becoming too "boomy" to the point that I raised it using sponge. However the old AR 10" which is a foward firing is fine and can be placed practially anywhere.
But really a sub has no place with Music. Just get a 2nd Hi Fi for music and leave the sub for movies.

If one look's at modern film's, it's big on Audio and CGI Graphics and thin on quality and story. I think Hollywood is out to tax the hell out of today's subwoofers !