Author Topic: Airbrush vs spray painting  (Read 3707 times)

Offline vinyljan

Airbrush vs spray painting
« on: September 10, 2019, 07:16:05 AM »
Once read on this forum a member saying he uses Airbrushing instead of spray painting for smaller jobs.  I browsed on www.airbrushwarehouse.co.za just to get some indication of cost. 

1. Biggest piece I'll probably spray with this is an turntable plinth
2.  Is it easier to clean/maintain etc the airbrush than conventional spray gun?
3.  If going this route I'll buy a kit including compressor, any recommendations on brands, type of feed, nozzle size etc
4.  I do have a big compressor, is it worthwhile to invest in another system or should I rather just get a spraygun

I like the idea of the airbrush being more mobile as my normal compressor is positioned underneath a work bench and a hassle to move around :thinking:
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline vleisman

Re: Airbrush vs spray painting
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 07:37:11 AM »
The late, great Skollie used to airbrush. I experimented a bit with a basic gun and using a 12v car compressor. To me it took a bit too much patience, but the results were promising and seemed easier than spraying. The advantage of spraying is its quicker. I didn't really airbrush much, so not qualified to draw conclusions.
I would think a full size compressor would be fine, just adjust the pressure.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 08:03:19 AM »
There is a middle ground, get a fine nozzle touch up gun. Speak to places like silverton auto body, they have some good clones of reputable italian guns and have fair pricing on the guns and the likes of Sean give excellent advice. The touch up guns lay down really fine layers of paint and it's not as easy to get orange peel as with a large gun. Most of the work is in prepping the pieces, sanding and spraying primer to get the base prepped correctly. You can buy an in-line water trap and use your good olde kompressor.

Offline vinyljan

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 09:52:20 AM »
There is a middle ground, get a fine nozzle touch up gun. Speak to places like silverton auto body, they have some good clones of reputable italian guns and have fair pricing on the guns and the likes of Sean give excellent advice. The touch up guns lay down really fine layers of paint and it's not as easy to get orange peel as with a large gun. Most of the work is in prepping the pieces, sanding and spraying primer to get the base prepped correctly. You can buy an in-line water trap and use your good olde kompressor.

Sounds like a great option,  :thumbs:.  Do they sell paint as well, what is  smallest amount?
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 11:22:40 AM »
Please do yourself a large favour and get in touch with Sean. They sell 1/2l cans of all manner of paints and have given me invaluable advice in the past. I would start with something easy like nitrocellulose primer and paint before looking at 2K, it just applies more forgivingly and can be sanded soon after application. They will mix any colour you could want. It's a family owned and run business.

Offline marantz123

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 09:20:07 PM »
I have been down this road somewhat. Airbrushing really gives a user the opportunity to achieve an excellent, superior finish to that of a standard spray can. Gravity feed guns are said to give  better control, however come at the price of lower output/ paint flow and low pressure guns perform better. I started with a small Air-Craft gravity feed model artists airbrush and enjoyed it, and it gave me a finish I have never achieved with a spray can. Having said this, this was my only experience, and researched specifically based on the required application and resulted in this type of kit and came with 3 sizes of needles which was a good buying point, and included a hose. I purchased an air-flow control valve separately, which was the only difference between this model and the upper range model...which was about R200 more.

With respect to cleaning...you clean immediately after spraying, stripping the necessary parts of the gun to get every bit of paint/varnish out. I chose the brand mentioned as the quality was better than other brands that I found, and Makro had it at about  R135 cheaper than another outlet. Another thing....a spray gun is not something that you lend out to anyone, mainly because of the small parts that can go missing and the quality of the cleaning thats needed immediately after use.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:24:33 PM by marantz123 »

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 01:46:26 PM »
You thinner wash every last part of the gun...thoroughly. Nothing is more annoying than a gun throwing gunk at your project and jamming halfway through the job.

Offline marantz123

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 10:19:11 PM »
Please do yourself a large favour and get in touch with Sean. They sell 1/2l cans of all manner of paints and have given me invaluable advice in the past. I would start with something easy like nitrocellulose primer and paint before looking at 2K, it just applies more forgivingly and can be sanded soon after application. They will mix any colour you could want. It's a family owned and run business.

Good advice, +1 more thing here...if using 2K paint, you MUST use 2K thinners (not normal Duco thinners) otherwise iirc, it will be sputtering and will ruin the work.

Saw some advice on an art forum, when applying water-based finishes, its possible to mix in a quantity of good quality alcohol ( water-based), gives better pot-life of the product and is better than using just plain water to dilute or thin a paint. The alcohol evaporates after application, and the airbrush handles the solids in an acrylic spray much better because of the alcohol.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:30:24 PM by marantz123 »

Offline vinyljan

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 01:08:58 PM »
Please do yourself a large favour and get in touch with Sean. They sell 1/2l cans of all manner of paints.....

Spoke to Sean and he told me they can mix most colours but THEN they seal it in a can.  Don't  think it is more expensive than Rustoleum and it has a very nice nozzle that sprays a "narrow vertical oval" shape. Portable and no cleaning needed..

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 05:51:03 PM »
^^^ This is fantastic! I wonder who in Cape Town offers this service?

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 12:21:37 PM »
My jaw just dropped, is that a 2k paint pearl base and clear in a spray bottle? No gun to clean after? I'll be sure to ask about this the next time I pass by there.