DIY & Tutorials > DIY Resources

Airbrush vs spray painting

(1/3) > >>

vinyljan:
Once read on this forum a member saying he uses Airbrushing instead of spray painting for smaller jobs.  I browsed on www.airbrushwarehouse.co.za just to get some indication of cost. 

1. Biggest piece I'll probably spray with this is an turntable plinth
2.  Is it easier to clean/maintain etc the airbrush than conventional spray gun?
3.  If going this route I'll buy a kit including compressor, any recommendations on brands, type of feed, nozzle size etc
4.  I do have a big compressor, is it worthwhile to invest in another system or should I rather just get a spraygun

I like the idea of the airbrush being more mobile as my normal compressor is positioned underneath a work bench and a hassle to move around :thinking:

vleisman:
The late, great Skollie used to airbrush. I experimented a bit with a basic gun and using a 12v car compressor. To me it took a bit too much patience, but the results were promising and seemed easier than spraying. The advantage of spraying is its quicker. I didn't really airbrush much, so not qualified to draw conclusions.
I would think a full size compressor would be fine, just adjust the pressure.

Timber_MG:
There is a middle ground, get a fine nozzle touch up gun. Speak to places like silverton auto body, they have some good clones of reputable italian guns and have fair pricing on the guns and the likes of Sean give excellent advice. The touch up guns lay down really fine layers of paint and it's not as easy to get orange peel as with a large gun. Most of the work is in prepping the pieces, sanding and spraying primer to get the base prepped correctly. You can buy an in-line water trap and use your good olde kompressor.

vinyljan:

--- Quote from: Timber_MG on September 10, 2019, 08:03:19 AM ---There is a middle ground, get a fine nozzle touch up gun. Speak to places like silverton auto body, they have some good clones of reputable italian guns and have fair pricing on the guns and the likes of Sean give excellent advice. The touch up guns lay down really fine layers of paint and it's not as easy to get orange peel as with a large gun. Most of the work is in prepping the pieces, sanding and spraying primer to get the base prepped correctly. You can buy an in-line water trap and use your good olde kompressor.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a great option,  :thumbs:.  Do they sell paint as well, what is  smallest amount?

Timber_MG:
Please do yourself a large favour and get in touch with Sean. They sell 1/2l cans of all manner of paints and have given me invaluable advice in the past. I would start with something easy like nitrocellulose primer and paint before looking at 2K, it just applies more forgivingly and can be sanded soon after application. They will mix any colour you could want. It's a family owned and run business.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version