Author Topic: MM Phono Stage  (Read 10848 times)

Offline Cross_over

Re: MM Phono Stage
« Reply #240 on: October 09, 2019, 07:18:04 AM »
The ET transformer that I am using is 16VAC (18VAC measured with no load) not 18 V. Model number is ET-408.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The only exercise I get is jumping to conclusions

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+48)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #241 on: October 09, 2019, 07:25:29 AM »
The ET transformer that I am using is 16VAC (18VAC measured with no load) not 18 V. Model number is ET-408.

Plug in before buying if you can. I have had 2 with rattling laminations.

Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline ajscheid

« Reply #242 on: October 09, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
I hoped to send the boards today but looks like I will only be able to get to Postnet on Monday. Sorry!

Hi Dirk,

Have you received my pm? Have you manage to ship the boards? Thanks!

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #243 on: October 09, 2019, 04:25:47 PM »
I funally managed to send the boards this afternoon. Sorry that it took so long, but should be with you in time for some fun on the weekend.

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #244 on: October 09, 2019, 05:23:56 PM »
Finished work early this afternoon, and completed building my DIY Muffsy PP3 Phono pre-amp. After a false start on the PSU
last weekend (I used a LM317 voltage regulator where I should have used a LM337), very happy that the full built worked perfectly, first time! My most ambitious build, to date. And the sound is wonderful - will still play around with settings, but right now, not much to improve on. This is a superb phono pre-amp!

Thanks Dirk, Ari and everyone else who encouraged and gave advice.

I have not started playing with settings or substituting resistors yet. But, quite honestly, it sounds pretty good right now! When I switched it on, for about a minute or two I thought it was sounding "too clinical" but either my ears adjusted quickly, or something "burned in" / the system just settled, because now it sounds exactly right.

It is in a fairly big R115 plastic box from Brights in Boston. The PCBs are "hanging" upside down from the top, as mounting them to the "floor" but all the other bits to the rear of the "top" would have just been too finicky.

Once I know I am not going to take them out again, I will replace the galvanised cheese-head 3mm bolts with black dome-head 3mm bolts.

For stand-offs I am using 15mm pieces of 3mm (ID) PVC pipe - works well, and when tightened, puts a little "pressure" on the bolts, so the nuts should not come loose.

Push button on/off switch from Yebo Electronics, as is the panel-housed female plug for my external 16VAC wall wart.

Gold plated female RCA connectors from Yebo.

All components ordered from Mantech, and delivered to my house for R80 per order.

There is currently no Earth connection on the plastic box, but my turntables's ground wire is connected directly to my pre-amp - there is absolutely no noise / hum or anything.

Already thinking of how I will do things differently on my second build (I am going to do another one, and then the Geco MM phono stage that Rudi has offered the boards for.  :thumbs:

I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #245 on: October 09, 2019, 05:32:59 PM »
Looks good! I like your style...glass of red wine in the pics!

Offline fredeb

« Reply #246 on: October 09, 2019, 07:55:22 PM »
Super-neat build Aqualung ! Looks amazing !
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #247 on: October 09, 2019, 08:03:45 PM »
Aqualung, did you sort out the problem with the two transformers?

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #248 on: October 09, 2019, 08:12:32 PM »
Aqualung, did you sort out the problem with the two transformers?

-F_D

Not yet - found another transformer that worked, so wanted to complete the build.
Will look at the "problematic" transformer next, and see if I can figure out what is going on there...  :thumbs:
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline ajscheid

« Reply #249 on: October 09, 2019, 08:20:11 PM »
I funally managed to send the boards this afternoon. Sorry that it took so long, but should be with you in time for some fun on the weekend.

Great! Thanks! Looking forward!
Have you got the tracking No.?

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #250 on: October 09, 2019, 08:23:29 PM »
Great! Thanks! Looking forward!
Have you got the tracking No.?
Check your pm.

Offline fredeb

« Reply #251 on: October 11, 2019, 12:46:46 AM »
Who , other than AJ and my friend Dodge , are still going to build this stage ?

Ready for the next ?  ;)
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline vleisman

« Reply #252 on: October 11, 2019, 05:48:53 AM »
I'm going to build, just waiting to receive the boards  :O0:

Online Trompie67

« Reply #253 on: October 11, 2019, 06:33:45 AM »
I'm going to build, just waiting to receive the boards  :O0:

Ditto.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #254 on: October 11, 2019, 07:05:07 AM »
Boards are on their way.

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but shows the correct positions for the components.